The SEGA Pluto (Prototype Console)

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

A collector can get big figures for this prototype. Just comes down to it.
p_nut_uk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by p_nut_uk »

SonicFan wrote:Saturn didn't have internet. I don't know why, though.
Shoot me if i'm wrong, but I believe it did in Japan, and why didn't it get released? Because that really was too far ahead of time, even the Dreamcast struggled back in the 56k days and 10p a minute phone bill, who remembers getting a huge ass phone bill from Chu Chu Rocket? I DO!
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

p_nut_uk wrote:Shoot me if i'm wrong, but I believe it did in Japan, and why didn't it get released? Because that really was too far ahead of time, even the Dreamcast struggled back in the 56k days and 10p a minute phone bill, who remembers getting a huge ass phone bill from Chu Chu Rocket? I DO!
Japan had a pay-to-play service with Netlink; which went into the cartridge slot of the Japan Saturn models. It allowed them to connect through a service called SEGANet, which would then be used for the Dreamcast I believe.

The Saturn did have internet access in U.S with SEGA Netlink...but it did a crappy job as far as sales and production goes. Europe never even had an official release.
Atrias
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Atrias »

TCB, yeah I was going to say about the plug-in net-link... technically even the MegaDrive \ Genesis had limited online infrastructure (provided by cable television connections) that allowed some of the Games on Demand functionality that we experience these days (link). Truly Sega was ahead of its time.
Faster than the speed of sound, sneaker wearing, chilli dog eating hedgehog with a penchant for industrial scale vandalism, animal activism and jewellery theft. Seems legit.

xboy_in_da_house
Level 12
Level 12

Post by xboy_in_da_house »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Quite frankly, honestly, I feel like SEGA was ahead of its time for quite a while back in the days.

Wasn't the Sega CD one of the first consoles to actually feature CDs instead of cartridges?
Actually the 1st console that played CD games was the PC Engine CD-ROM/TurboGrafx-CD then a few years later Sega released the Mega CD/Sega CD
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Atrias wrote:TCB, yeah I was going to say about the plug-in net-link... technically even the MegaDrive \ Genesis had limited online infrastructure (provided by cable television connections) that allowed some of the Games on Demand functionality that we experience these days (link). Truly Sega was ahead of its time.
Yeah pretty much. So much ingenuity SEGA had back in the day.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

xboy_in_da_house wrote:Actually the 1st console that played CD games was the PC Engine CD-ROM/TurboGrafx-CD then a few years later Sega released the Mega CD/Sega CD
A PC? Or is it actually a home console with a PC stuck into its name.
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

Now the console is being sold on Gamegravel.com. The price for it is so god damn high. That's what you would expect for something that only has two in the world....But I do have one thing to say. That console is possibly the largest of the 90s generation consoles:

But dosen't compare to the size of earlier generations.

website: http://www.gamegavel.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000752122
History of Bidding: http://www.gamegavel.com/bid_history.cg ... 0000752122
To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Quills on Wheels wrote:A PC? Or is it actually a home console with a PC stuck into its name.
The PC Engine was the Japanese name for the TurboGrafx. A console created as a joint venture by Hudson Soft & NEC.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I see. Still.

Gosh though, it's kinda frustrating knowing that the guy found the pluto on a Flee market for ONE dollar XD