Chickaroo Reviews: Scribblenauts (Nintendo DS)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews: Scribblenauts (Nintendo DS)

Post by chickaroo1 »

Think it. Write it. Solve it. That's the way it works here in ScribbleNauts, the fun puzzle solving game that let's you create the solutions!

Game: Scribblenauts / Flash Puzzle: Maxwell's Mysterious Notebook
Platform: Nintendo DS
Release Dates: 9/15/09 (NA), 1/27/11 (JP)
Developer: 5th Cell

It Can Be Anything, Really.
Story: So there's this kid named Maxwell. He owns a notebook. And when he writes anything in it, it can appear in real life. So now he has to puzzles. Hooray.

You Think It, You Write it, You Solve It!
Gameplay: You play as Maxwell. You mostly use the touch screen to solve the puzzles. The D-Pad is your camera and using the stylus to move Maxwell around. There's a notebook in the upper right corner of the screen. Tap it and you'll be taken to the notebook thingy (which is really just a keyboard.) All you have to do is tap whatever you want and it should appear.
There are different goals in the puzzles. You have to use your noodle to solve them. There's a star at the end of each level. Most puzzles will have you try your best to get the star or even earn it.
Now just because you can create whatever you want, doesn't mean you can create endless stuff at once. There's a meter on the top screen to show you how much stuff you have. When the meter is full, you cannot create more stuff from the notebook. To delete stuff, drag an item to where the notebook is, the notebook will look like a trash can.
There are 2 kinds of puzzles in each world, puzzle and action.

Calm and Simple
Music: The music here is...I don't know how to describe it. It's not much. It's not memorable. And don't you dare complain about this section I swear to god.

Cartoony, But Pixelated-Ish
Graphics: Knowing the DS, the grapics here are pretty good, but can be a little pixelated at times. Like when Maxwell is idle. You'll notice on items that there are little lines and dots on items to make them look like puppets. Which looks cool. And the game is pretty colorful.

Should You Solve These Puzzles?
Overall: Scribblenauts is a pretty good and challanging game. You can even run around a small area and do whatever on the start screen with the notebook. It's a pretty good game but after a while, it can get boring if you can't think of anything to do on the sandbox menu or how to solve a puzzle. And si ce there pretty much is no story, anyone can really enjoy this game.

Score: 3/5
See my past reviews here! The Chickaroo Reviews Archive List is here!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-hi ... sp=sharing
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Wow finally someone has done a review. I'll have a go at one in the next few weeks as well. Obviously the review team can't be trusted to keep up the good work!

What's the difficulty like on this? I've dossed around making dinosaurs appear but never bothered trying to actually play the game.
Tic Tac, sir?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

"Calm and Simple
Music: The music here is...I don't know how to describe it. It's not much. It's not memorable. And don't you dare complain about this section I swear to god."

complainingrawr

Just kidding; to be honest this is a series I wanted to try out.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Post by chickaroo1 »

Killer French Bread wrote:Wow finally someone has done a review. I'll have a go at one in the next few weeks as well. Obviously the review team can't be trusted to keep up the good work!

What's the difficulty like on this? I've dossed around making dinosaurs appear but never bothered trying to actually play the game.
The game gets more difficult as the game goes on. It's been a while since I fully played the game so I can't remember.
See my past reviews here! The Chickaroo Reviews Archive List is here!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-hi ... sp=sharing
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

Been awhile since I heard of this game. I remember it was a test demo for the DS in regards to the stylus. Although I never played it, its actually a tough title to find. I am curious about this one.