Which Sonic game do you miss the most?

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Kaito-kun wrote:Because Sonic fans like to live in the past?
But why? I dont speak for all sonic fans when i say this but the Sonic Franchise is going in a good direction with Generations and Colours. I honestly think returning to the Adventure style of gameplay would just hurt the series more then it already is. As i said before, was it really as good as we remember?
kamifox1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kamifox1 »

Sonic Adventure really wasn't that bad, they were both the best 3D games, without a doubt. Tell me, what Sonic games do you moaners like then? '06? Unleashed? Shadow the Hedgehog? Or the 2D games? Oh wait, that would be living in the past. Also, just because I want a new Sonic Adventure doesn't mean I don't like the new games, far from it. I actually love Sonic Colours, to the point I say it's the best Sonic game in recent years. I'm also REALLY looking forward to Lost World. Next time, think before responding, yeah? I mentioned two games out of all the games in the series. Of course they're not the only ones I care about, I wouldn't be much of a Sonic fan if that was the case, would I?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Gonic wrote:But why? I dont speak for all sonic fans when i say this but the Sonic Franchise is going in a good direction with Generations and Colours. I honestly think returning to the Adventure style of gameplay would just hurt the series more then it already is. As i said before, was it really as good as we remember?
To add, many more fans joined during the 2001-2004 period, especially around Heroes which can be considered when 'the poison' started leaking. Myself joined this 'series' around 2002/2003 and I think the series has jumped out of the hellhole that was 2005-2008 but they are nowhere near the level of 'grandeur' that many old-school fans experienced in the early 90's and will never be at that level.
kamifox1 wrote:Sonic Adventure really wasn't that bad, they were both the best 3D games, without a doubt.

I know you are aiming this at the fellows before me, but I can't help but say that line can be a subjective thing you know. I can say 'Generations is the best 3D Sonic game, without a doubt' just as easy.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

kamifox1 wrote:Sonic Adventure really wasn't that bad, they were both the best 3D games, without a doubt. Tell me, what Sonic games do you moaners like then? '06? Unleashed? Shadow the Hedgehog? Or the 2D games? Oh wait, that would be living in the past. Also, just because I want a new Sonic Adventure doesn't mean I don't like the new games, far from it. I actually love Sonic Colours, to the point I say it's the best Sonic game in recent years. I'm also REALLY looking forward to Lost World. Next time, think before responding, yeah? I mentioned two games out of all the games in the series. Of course they're not the only ones I care about, I wouldn't be much of a Sonic fan if that was the case, would I?
Because you asked for a sequel. Why make another Adventure? Sonic Adventure was the start of a steep decline in quality for the franchise, with miss after miss through-out last gen. Then at the beginning of this Gen they gave Adventure fans what they wanted; a new game in the same vein as Sonic Adventure and it was by all account SEGA's biggest tragedy (in terms of making games and not, obviously, to be compared to being forced out of the hardware market). That abomination actually made SEGA stop and look at what they're doing, and the series has more or less improved ever since becoming actually good again with colours.
kamifox1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kamifox1 »

Actually, Sonic Adventure 2 is well known as the best 3D Sonic game, it's high in every chart and all the true fans and fake fans alike love it, opinions on it are nowhere near as divided as with the others. The decline actually started with Sonic heroes, as the other guy said, NOT Sonic Adventure. Also, '06 only failed because it was rushed. If it had less glitches and a Chao garden it would've been exactly what we asked for. Think, why does everyone ask for a new one? Because it was so good, if it was so bad, no one would ask for a new one, we would all just hate it like with '06. Oh, lastly, '06 came years before Sonic Colours so no, it didn't make them step back a think about what they'd done, there was several more years of that sort of thing afterwards. Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 4.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

kamifox1 wrote:Actually, Sonic Adventure 2 is well known as the best 3D Sonic game, it's high in every chart and all the true fans and fake fans alike love it, opinions on it are nowhere near as divided as with the others.
Yea, I guess "Sonic fan" is just another way of saying lowered expectations. Sonic Adventure 2 was a bad game with a lot of bad design decisions.
kamifox1 wrote: The decline actually started with Sonic heroes, as the other guy said, NOT Sonic Adventure.
Nope, though Sonic Heroes was a really bad game.
kamifox1 wrote: Also, '06 only failed because it was rushed. If it had less glitches and a Chao garden it would've been exactly what we asked for.
Yea, it would have still had the embarrassing story, awful controls and badly designed gimmicks the Adventure games had.
kamifox1 wrote: Think, why does everyone ask for a new one? Because it was so good, if it was so bad, no one would ask for a new one, we would all just hate it like with '06.
Or they're just in denial that '06 was them getting what they wanted.
kamifox1 wrote:Oh, lastly, '06 came years before Sonic Colours so no, it didn't make them step back a think about what they'd done, there was several more years of that sort of thing afterwards. Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 4.
Right except it's pretty plain to see in Unleashed that SEGA had found something to work with in regards to how bring Sonic forward, of course they still made a huge misstep with the terrible night levels but it's clear as day (stages) that SEGA have been evolving the Unleashed formula to something actually good. There's even some signs of this of the Wii games, but I'm pretty sure they were mostly made as a cheap cashgrab for that wii installbase. Sonic 4 is just some shit dimps game, lol dimps.

Anyway there's some lunacy going on if people think SA2 is the best 3D sonic when Generations beats it in every way, and to a lesser extent Colours.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

kamifox1 wrote:Actually, Sonic Adventure 2 is well known as the best 3D Sonic game, it's high in every chart and all the true fans and fake fans alike love it, opinions on it are nowhere near as divided as with the others.
Yeah, the original DC games 15 or so years ago when the Sonic brand was still up there with Mario more or less and (presumably) you're going by how well they went with the critics. These days I get that the games are either good/bad depending on the person but everyone will agree that now they have their flaws; nostalgia can blind you into not seeing them. Hell, I have SA2 on PS3 and while I enjoy the game for what it is, I really don't see it as the 'best 3D Sonic game'. And yes, opinions on the Adventure titles are far more divided than they were back then.

And please, there's no 'true' or 'fake' fans.
The decline actually started with Sonic heroes, as the other guy said, NOT Sonic Adventure. Also, '06 only failed because it was rushed. If it had less glitches and a Chao garden it would've been exactly what we asked for.
Reknoc may say one thing, I'll say another; I'll say the decline was more obvious with Heroes in where SA2 had a subtle decline. Personally, I wouldn't count SA1 since I would consider it a experimental-phase for main series Sonic in 3D. Nevertheless, 2006 was rushed yes, but that's not the main problem with the game. The story would still have been a mess of plotholes and trying to hard to be serious and dark. The gameplay itself would still have been finicky as hell; and the load times...yeah.

The fricken HEAD OF SONIC TEAM AT THE TIME left DURING 2006's development, taking most of the team with him and left the scraps of ST to salvage what was left of the game's production. Even if it wasn't rushed, you really think it would have garnered high praise? It'll most likely still be mediocre; remember, this game was coming after ShTH, and we all know how that went.
Think, why does everyone ask for a new one? Because it was so good, if it was so bad, no one would ask for a new one, we would all just hate it like with '06. Oh, lastly, '06 came years before Sonic Colours so no, it didn't make them step back a think about what they'd done, there was several more years of that sort of thing afterwards. Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 4.
Yes, yes it did. The failure of 2006 rocked SEGA (not just Sonic Team) so bad that they realized they can't put that crap on store selves and expects us, the customer, to accept it. Secret Rings didn't do nearly as bad as 2006 did. After 2006, ST had to completely do damage control over the next two years. What became of it? Unleashed, which conceptually has real effort put into it in practice but the execution suffered. Yeah, Sonic 4, Black Knight and other games paved a bumpy road but then Colors FINALLY got Sonic Team's act together and the quality has improved since then.

EDIT: Oh hello Rek I didn't see your post there teehee.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

I'm in the "no more Adventure" camp just because that's the past. Like I've been saying the Adventure was tweaked upon in a certain game: Sonic 2006. And look what happened there.

Why are people clamoring for a Sonic Adventure 3? It's a question that will continue to be brung up, no matter who answers it. But hey that's not the point of this thread now is it?
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

kamifox1 wrote:Sonic Adventure really wasn't that bad, they were both the best 3D games, without a doubt. Tell me, what Sonic games do you moaners like then? '06? Unleashed? Shadow the Hedgehog? Or the 2D games? Oh wait, that would be living in the past. Also, just because I want a new Sonic Adventure doesn't mean I don't like the new games, far from it. I actually love Sonic Colours, to the point I say it's the best Sonic game in recent years. I'm also REALLY looking forward to Lost World. Next time, think before responding, yeah? I mentioned two games out of all the games in the series. Of course they're not the only ones I care about, I wouldn't be much of a Sonic fan if that was the case, would I?
You assume too much. I never said that i didnt like the adventure games, just that SA2 was meh. After SA2 i hadn't liked another sonic game till Sonic Colours (Besides the Advance games). I was curious to why people wanted another adventure title since after adventure, we saw a massive decline in sonic games. I am entitled to my own opinion.
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

Instead of Sonic Adventure 3, why not clamor for SEGA to make Sonic Xtreme possible?

Don't answer that, I was only kidding.
To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!