Chickaroo Reviews: Spyro the Dragon (PS1)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews: Spyro the Dragon (PS1)

Post by chickaroo1 »

The start to a classic trilogy, this is Spyro the Dragon, one of the greatest games for the PlayStation 1. Does it still hold up today or does it fall on it's spiky back?

Game: Spyro the Dragon
Systems: PlayStation 1, PlayStation Network
Release Dates: 9/10/98 (NA), 10/22/98 (EU), 4/1/99 (JP)
Developers: Insomniac Games

In The World of Dragons...
Story: The five dragon clans are being interviewed (for some reason) and is asked about a guy named Gnasty Gnorc. One of the dragons says to the press that he is no threat and that he is ugly. Gnasty Gnorc, enraged by the live interview, freezes all the dragons in the five clans. All dragons, except for a little purple one named Spyro. And now he has to save his fellow dragons.

Let’s See If This Still Holds Up Today
Gameplay: The game is yes indeedy, a platformer. Spyro can really only do a few things. He can glide, jump, charge and flame enemies and boxes. Your objective is to collect gems scattered through the worlds, save the frozen dragons and collect dragon eggs from thieves. That’s kind of not a whole lot to collect.
Gems are basically your money in the game. There really isn’t really anything to buy. To get to a new world, you have a different objective. Either collect a certain amount of dragons or gems or eggs.
Level wise, they feel empty. Heck, this game feels a little empty. There really isn’t a whole lot to do. It’s pretty straight forward (which can be a good or bad thing, depends on how you like to play games.)

Hey This Sounds Familiar
Music: The music here is pretty good. Catchy and snappy. And here’s a fun fact for the music. The song in the level “Wizard Peak”, is used as the theme song for the Nickelodeon show The Amanda Show! How cool is that?
The music is composed by Stewart Copeland.

Is This The Perfect Start to a Trilogy?
Overall: Spyro the Dragon to this day, doesn’t really hold up. As I said in the gameplay, the game feels empty and straightforward. Spyro can’t do a whole lot, there isn’t a whole lot to collect. It won’t take long to get done with the game or 100% it. Level design is pretty small in my opinion. It’s still fun to play, but the sequels are major improvements and much better, trust me.

Score: 3/5
See my past reviews here! The Chickaroo Reviews Archive List is here!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-hi ... sp=sharing
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

120%*

metalgamer
Level 8
Level 8

Post by metalgamer »

I only played it when I was younger, but from what I remember, I completely agree. The only thing is if the game is that empty, wouldn't a 2/5 be a more appropriate score?