Chickaroo Reviews: Sonic Heroes (PS2)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews: Sonic Heroes (PS2)

Post by chickaroo1 »

After Sonic Adventure 2 and the downfall of the beloved Dreamcast, what would happen to Sonic? Would the Sonic series continue on different consoles? Yep! And this time, he'll need some help from his friends!

Game: Sonic Heroes
Systems: GameCube, Playstation 2, Xbox, Windows and Playstation Network
Release Dates: GameCube: 12/30/03 (JP), 1/05/04 (NA), 2/06/04 (PAL)
PS2 & Xbox: 12/30/03 (JP), 1/27/04 (NA), 2/06/04 (PAL)
Windows: 11/17/04 (NA), 11/26/04 (PAL), 12/09/04 (JP)
PlayStation Network: 2/22/12(PAL)
Developers: Sonic Team USA

Same Old, Same Old Right?
Story: Since the game is split into 4 teams (I'll explain this in the gameplay), there almost kind of is 4 stories but they kinda overlap each other in a way.
Team Sonic (Sonic, Tails and Knuckles): The 3 recieve a letter from Eggman explaining that the gang has only 3 days to stop him from blowing up the world.
Team Dark (Shadow, Rouge and Omega): While Rouge is sneaking into Eggman's base, she finds Shadow in a pod. After freeing him, Rouge somehow wakes up Omega, the last robot in the E-100 line. Shadow seems confused since now he has lost his memories. And Omega is mad at Eggman for sealing him away. So the three team up.
Team Rose (Amy, Cream, and Big): Amy reads an article in the newspaper reporting that Sonic has kidnapped Chocola (a friend of Cream's chao, Cheese) and Froggy, Big's pet frog. Amy decides that they should chase after Sonic.
Team Chaotix (Espio, Charmy and Vector): While working at the Chaotix Detective Agency, Vector and gang recive a strange package with a walkie talkie recorded message. The message says that the gang has to complete certain tasks and they will get rewarded. Espio thinks it's some sort of trap or a trick but Vector and Charmy convince him to come along.

Three at Once? That's Too Many!
Gameplay: The gimmick here is to "play as 3 character at once". Each team had 3 characters in 3 different classes. Speed, power and fly. Speed characters are the fastest and can home attack on enemies as well as make a tornado around enemies to stun them. Power characters are the strongest of the group. They can also helo their teammated float up while being over a draft. Flying characters can...well, fly. They can hover over gaps for a limited time and can stun enemies with an electric attack.
Collecting rings will fill up a gauge on the top right corner of the screen. When the bar is full, it'll say "Team Blast." Team Blast is where your team will use an attack together to wipe away enemies in the area.
Now to talk about the "difficulties." Each team has its own difficulty. Team Sonic is normal / medium, Team Dark is hard, Team Rose is easy and Team Chaotix is...well mission mode. Team Rose is a breeze to get through while Team Sonic and Dark's stages can really over stay their welcome by 10 minutes. Team Chaotix is...like I said missions. They're varied.

Improved?
Graphic: The graphics are different this time around since these models are running off of new hard drive. They look a tad bit nicer than Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 but noting special.

A Personal Favorite
Music: This soundtrack has to be one of my favorites. Each track fits the settings perfectly. It's very nice.
Music is composed by Jun Senoun.

A Step in the Right Direction?
Overall: Sonic Heroes is a pretty good game. Some issues but I did't have any trouble. This game is probably the most nostalgic to me. I'd beg my parents to take me to Blockbuster and rent the game all the time.But it's not the best game. There's a few issues in the gameplay (especially the special stages holy shiz.) It's pretty fun but not the best.

Score: 3/5
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

The PS2 version is the worst version out of the four due to framerate and a bit of other issues. That was the version I had. Being young then I was obvious to it. With that said it was my first home console Sonic game so it has a soft spot in my heart.