Chickaroo Reviews: Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando (PS2 / PS3)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews: Ratchet & Clank 2: Going Commando (PS2 / PS3)

Post by chickaroo1 »

After the success of the first Ratchet & Clank game, fans were dying for a sequal with more weapons and more mayhem. And Insomniac Games brought us just that!

Game: Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando / Ratchet & Clank 2: Locked and Loaded
Systems: PlayStation 2, Playstation 3
Release Dates: PlayStation 2: 11/11/03 (NA), 11/21/03 (EU), 12/11/03 (JP)
PlayStation 3: 6/29/12 (EU), 8/28/12 (NA), 9/06/12 (JP)
Developers: Insomniac Games
Rating: T (PS2), E10+ (PS3)

The Duo is Back!
Story: After defeating Chairman Drek in the first game, Ratchet and Clank have become celebrities across the galaxy. After the excitement, things started to quiet down for the duo. During an interview, the two get transported to the Bogon Galaxy by a guy named Abercrombie Fizzwidget, head of the Megacorp company. He says that their new project, The Protopet has been stolen by a theif. And since both Ratchet & Clank had nothing to do, they took up the offer to help out Megacorp.

Major Improvements
Gameplay: Not a whole lot has changed to the gameplay but there is a lot of improvements. This time around, you can strafe, which makes shooting hoards of enemies easier. And this becomes a staple to the series later on. As well as selecting weapons has become better. This time, the game pauses as you select a weapon, giving you more time and thought into choosing a weapon.
And now to mention a complaint I have: the difficulty. Holy crap did Insomniac turn up the difficulty here. The enemies have pretty powerful hits this time around. My God it can drain your health like crazy. Hey at least there's no lives system.
Speaking of health, that has changed too. Instead of buying an upgrade, you level it up. Under the health bar is an EXP bar. The more enemies you kill, the more it'll go up.

Hasn't Changed Much Either
Graphics: The graphics haven't changed much. They do look a little better than the last game. A lot more character movement is involved. Ratchet's voice has changed in this as well. He is now voiced by James Arnold Taylor.

More Epic
Music: The music has a more epic feel to it. More triumphant and gets you in the mood to battle.
The music is composed by David Bergeaud.

Better Than The First?
Overall: Going Commando delivers a powerful punch of action, platforming and weapons. It's a pretty great game, but I must admit:
It's not my favorite.
Out of the original trilogy, I ended up beating this game last. Hell, I just recently beat it. It didn't do a whole lot for me. But it was fun to play I will admit.

Score: 3/5