Castle of Illusion (2013)

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
sonicyoda
Level 5
Level 5

Castle of Illusion (2013)

Post by sonicyoda »

So the new Castle of Illusion then! Anyone played it? I'm not particularly far yet but I've beaten the first 3 stages and it's an interesting take on the original! Main differences seem to be:

1) Addition of 3D segments. Most of the stages are completely 2D but every now and then the game throws a full 3D section at you and the transition is very natural.
2) The castle at the start of the original where you access the doors to the stages is now a full 3D hub world to explore. This was a cool little addition and you unlock paintings and statues for the castle as you play through the game
3) The stages are all themed like the original game but the layouts are completely different despite some returning gimmicks. This has been the most enjoyable thing about the game for me. I'm glad I'm not just playing the same game again in 2.5D like some other remakes
4) The bosses are like remix versions of the originals. They play out similarly but now they have some new attacks or you have to play them in 3D instead of just 2D

Overall it's a funky little game. Anyone else got any thoughts?
www.segadriven.com
Give me the cyber razor cut.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Follow on Twitter: @segadriven
Like on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/segadriven
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

Being a fan of the original, I was a little bit worried about what they would do with it, even though, the behind the scenes videos looked pretty good.

From a fan point of view, the game is awesome. It's a love letter to the original with nods to both the 16-bit and the 8-bit versions. It's a bit easier, at least in the first stages, but I think overall they did a great job in capturing the same feeling of the original games.

From the point of view of everyone else, I can understand why some people may say it's too short or not worth the full price. And, if you didn't enjoy the original, you'll hardly like the remake.

One of the best things for me is the option to switch between the updated soundtrack and the original music. It's great to play the new levels to the classic soundtrack.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Is actually a good compared to modern stuff and not just the original CoI though?
Tic Tac, sir?
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

Killer French Bread wrote:Is actually a good compared to modern stuff and not just the original CoI though?
I think it's a nice little platformer on its own. Sweet graphics, good music, and tight controls.
It's not too long, and can be a bit too easy at times to gamers from our generation that are used to the old platformer standards.
If it's worth the full price for someone who just wants to play a new platform game? Probably not. 1/3 of the price is nostalgia value, I think.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

okay. I'll try the demo at some point. I'm guessing it will be a bit of a throw back still, even with the modern additions, as nearly all 2D platformers now are either collect em ups or puzzle based. This looks like a bit more of a pure platformer.
Tic Tac, sir?
sonicyoda
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sonicyoda »

Killer French Bread wrote:okay. I'll try the demo at some point. I'm guessing it will be a bit of a throw back still, even with the modern additions, as nearly all 2D platformers now are either collect em ups or puzzle based. This looks like a bit more of a pure platformer.
It is very much a game with an old school platformer feel. As KC mentioned a lot of the appeal is nostalgia and fans of the original will probably get more out of it than someone who hasn't played the original version. Also the narration can be a bit slap-dash as you often move into a different area and cut the narrator off without realising.
www.segadriven.com
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Well I am one of those people with a load of nostalgia for the original so will give it a bash.

p.s. just been checking your website. It's great. I now know a place called north acton exists and has an arcade.
Tic Tac, sir?
sonicyoda
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sonicyoda »

Whoop! It was awesome there, definitely going back once they've kitted out more of the rooms :) Also thanks for checking out the site dude!
www.segadriven.com
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

One more thing added to this remake was the inclusion of collectibles. These are silver gems or diamonds, statue pieces and Donald's chili peppers. I won't go into detail about what these unlock because of spoilers, but they add to the replayability of the game and offer an added challenge that is most certainly welcome.