2014: Is It Going to Be a Good Year For Gaming?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Tru
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Tru »

I want a Wii U as well. I'm not so bothered by the PS4 and Xbox One at the moment, partly cos I can't afford either until next year. I'll see what Spring brings and which of the consoles sticks out the most. Chances are I'll want both anyway... I always want the new console even if I end up getting bored of it.

The games industry becomes more interesting every year. You mention the console market, but the other sectors are constantly growing, changing, evolving. We may have the Steam box tomorrow, which may well shake up the PC gaming market a bit, who knows? I know I would sooner upgrade my PC right now to play the large amount of games on Steam that I've neglected. I'm still playing catch up with this generation, let alone the next one.

And don't forget the mobile and social gaming sector either! It's grown massively over the past few years and we've reached a point where defining a 'game' is getting blurry. Everyone plays games even if they don't realise it. Someone playing Candy Crush Saga on their phone or Facebook is playing a game, even if they wouldn't define it as such. The mobile gaming sector is still going strong, indie gaming is taking over...

If you ignore the big console names, ignore the big publishers, and look at indies, at mobile gaming, you could say that now is a very diverse and creative time in the gaming industry.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

CapnCloudchaser wrote:I want a Wii U as well. I'm not so bothered by the PS4 and Xbox One at the moment, partly cos I can't afford either until next year. I'll see what Spring brings and which of the consoles sticks out the most. Chances are I'll want both anyway... I always want the new console even if I end up getting bored of it.

The games industry becomes more interesting every year. You mention the console market, but the other sectors are constantly growing, changing, evolving. We may have the Steam box tomorrow, which may well shake up the PC gaming market a bit, who knows? I know I would sooner upgrade my PC right now to play the large amount of games on Steam that I've neglected. I'm still playing catch up with this generation, let alone the next one.

And don't forget the mobile and social gaming sector either! It's grown massively over the past few years and we've reached a point where defining a 'game' is getting blurry. Everyone plays games even if they don't realise it. Someone playing Candy Crush Saga on their phone or Facebook is playing a game, even if they wouldn't define it as such. The mobile gaming sector is still going strong, indie gaming is taking over...

If you ignore the big console names, ignore the big publishers, and look at indies, at mobile gaming, you could say that now is a very diverse and creative time in the gaming industry.
Ah you make a very good point; the last start to the gaming generation (2005-2006) has nothing on this in terms of how diverse the industry has become. Indie gaming, mobile, Steam...things are becoming much more prominent and diverse now.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

All I want is a new Virtua Fighter game.
Tic Tac, sir?
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

I'll probably go with the PS4 sometime soon after launch.
I really wanted to be more excited with the Xbox One but I just can't. Besides, I got my 360 last year, so there's still much to enjoy on the current gen MS system.

I think 2014 will be an important year for Nintendo when it comes to the Wii U. We'll see if they'll get somewhere with the (little) effort they're putting into changing things. Somehow I doubt it.

It will also be interesting to see how other systems, like the OUYA or the Steam Box (is that still a thing?) will do. With all this "Free the Games Fund" controversy, I'm curious how next year will turn out for the OUYA system. A good idea on the paper, but will it really work.

Apart from that, PS3 vs Xbone, yadda yadda yadda...
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Really do hope Nintendo finally descend into that flaming shit spiral they've deserved for years. Every year man the same old same old crap - fuck it i'm going full on rant - ploddy, pedestrian, boring, no panache, no excitement, not real creativity, no risk, no originality, bug eyed, 5 star fucking shite like mario kart and smash brothers. All they do is boa constrictor the dregs out of this band of fucking awful characters every generation. Pikmin 3! Fuck off and die.

Sorry.
Tic Tac, sir?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Killer French Bread wrote:Really do hope Nintendo finally descend into that flaming shit spiral they've deserved for years. Every year man the same old same old crap - fuck it i'm going full on rant - ploddy, pedestrian, boring, no panache, no excitement, not real creativity, no risk, no originality, bug eyed, 5 star fucking shite like mario kart and smash brothers. All they do is boa constrictor the dregs out of this band of fucking awful characters every generation. Pikmin 3! Fuck off and die.

Sorry.
...I don't know if this you being humorous again, but I found this funny nonetheless.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Was suffering from nintendo related stress so had to let off a bit of steam. Some git on ebay was trying to scam me over a gamecube I sold him.

But generally it's what I feel. Nintendo is such a sensible company. Sensible is boring.
Tic Tac, sir?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

A sensible company doesn't release the Wii U
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

It was a pretty conservative, mild evolution of the old console.

It's annoying because every now and then there is the odd interesting idea from em, like that Zelda game where you all use a gameboy screen and the pinball game where you used a microphone. I want more of that, not 2 or 3 dopey mascot games year.
Tic Tac, sir?
Jon the VGNerd

Post by Jon the VGNerd »

That... pretty much depends, as many publishers/developers do their best to make their games appealing for most audiences. The flip-side is that not all games will be perfect this year, as there could be some games that are lackluster in terms of overall gameplay and such. Let's just hope that next year will be better than the last, in my opinion.