Chickaroo Reviews: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game (PS3)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game (PS3)

Post by chickaroo1 »

Based off the graphic novel series and a movie filled to the brim with video game references, we knew this was coming.

Game: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game
Systems: PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade
Release Dates: PSN: 8/10/10 (NA), 8/11/10 (EU), 10/20/10 (JP)
XBLA: 8/25/10 (NA and EU), 10/20/10 (JP)
Developers: Ubisoft

Seven Deadly Exes
Story: In case you haven't read the graphic novels or seen the movie, I'll fill you in on the story.
So there's this guy, named Scott. Scott Pilgrim that is. He falls in love with an American girl named Ramona Flowers. But in order to date her, Scott must defeat her seven evil exes. So now now it's up to him to win the girl of his dreams.

Going Retro
Gameplay: The genre of the game is a side scrolling beat em up. There are four playable characters at the beginning of the game. The characters are Scott, Ramona, Kim and Stills. Playing as different characters does not affect the story.
Anyway, how the games plays. As I said, its a side scrolling beat em up, much like the Double Dragon series.
There are some RPG elements in here. Such as leveling up characters, learning new moves, buying new upgrades, so on and so forth.
The game feels stiff to me. I don't know why.

Old School, eh?
Graphics: The graphics are meant to look like an old school game with the pixels. It's really colorful and works well with the artstyle of the game.

Who Doesn't Love Chiptune?
Music: To go along with the "old school" theme, the music is in a chiptune fashion as well. Catchy and upbeat. It's a nice fit.
Music is composed by Anamanguchi.

Just As Good As the Comics / Movie?
Overall: This game is actually pretty good. It may not be my favorite game but it does a lot right. References from the graphic novels and other video games come together in a nice, neat little package. For those who loved the graphic novels and the movie, you're in for a nice treat.

Score: 4/5