Chickaroo Reviews: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Raccoonus (PS2 / PS3)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews: Sly Cooper & The Thievius Raccoonus (PS2 / PS3)

Post by chickaroo1 »

A raccoon who comes from a long line of master thieves, seeks revenge against the Fiendish Five for what they did to his father. Another awesome edition to the PlayStation 2's library!

Game: Sly Cooper & the Thievius Raccoonus (US) /Sly Raccoon (EU and AUS) / Kaito Sly Cooper (JP)
Systems: PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3
Release Dates: PlayStation 2: 9/23/02 (NA), 1/17/03 (EU), 3/06/03 (JP)
PlayStation 3: 11/09/10 (NA), 12/03/10 (EU), 1/27/11 (JP)
Developer: Sucker Punch Productions

Film Noir with Furry Animals
Story: Our story today is about a raccoon named Sly Cooper. He is from a long line of master theives. All of the master theive's moves have been stored in a book known as the Theivius Raccoonus. On Sly's birthday as a kid, his father was about to show him the book, when all of a sudden, a group of villians named the Fiendish Five broke into Sly's home, killed his father and stole the Theivius Racoonus.
Now Sly was forced to live in an orphanage, where he met his two best friends, Bentley and Murray. The three loved planning big heists. Now the three are a team and are set to get the Theivus Racoonus back!

Sneaking Around, Trying not to Rage
Gameplay: The game is a platformer with some stealth involved.
You mostly run around as Sly. When you first enter an area, you have to find one key to enter the main area. This main area will pretty much act as a hub since there are a few small areas to explore. You must collect a certain amount of keys to get closer to the boss. Bosses can be easy, some can be hard as hell.
One complaint I have about the gameplay is the health system. It's a "one hit and you die" system, just like the Mario series. Instead of mushrooms, there are horseshoes. And there are lives and it's easy to gain them and lose them.

A Cartoon Come to Life
Graphics: The artstyle and graphics are done in cel shading. Cel shading means that the outlines of the characters are thick and black, giving off a cartoony look. It’s very nice and unique. But it's still not perfect. Sometimes it looks a little blocky in some parts. Kind of reminds me of how Jet Set Radio looks.

Decency at Best
Music: The music sounds like as if you were sneaking around in top secret areas. Which is great but it really doen't sounds that good to me. Not the best.
Music is composed by Ashif Hakik.

The Best Stealth Game Out There?
Overall: This game is both fun and frustrating. I can't tell you how many times I died. And the game is pretty easy too. It's a nice game to play (and even has a cliffhanger at the end!) It's not the best. But nice to play.

Score: 3/5
BluePuyo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BluePuyo »

I really liked this game. Being pure arcade-y in gameplay made me enjoy it much than I expected. The health system may be intrusive for many but the game has a fair difficult, with practice you can overcome it. Even bosses have patterns that are easy to get once you play it.