Modern Day Gaming - Is it 'Worse' From a Skill Standpoint?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Modern Day Gaming - Is it 'Worse' From a Skill Standpoint?

Post by TCB »

Is the industry 'easier' for current-day gamers to get accustomed to? With how FPS seemingly the norm (arguably better or worse) how does this compare to the previous generation? Is it on the gamer? Is there such a huge difference?

Discuss.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

The market has changed. Compared to the Mega Drive era when the priority was getting a high score or trying to clear the game without a continue in an arcade there is no real need for the developers to make a game overly difficult. If a game is too hard now, the more casual market - who just want to enjoy a game on occasion, or only for the story, or just with friends - won't be interested. Recent "Hard" games - such as Dark Souls - have only been popular among "Gamers". And "Gamers" don't make up a massive portion of the video game market any more.
Opus Science
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Opus Science »

The number of times I've bought a modern game and basically been walked through a good story...

Don't get me wrong, it's good entertainment, deep story, visually impressive, characters you can engage with, some interesting challenges along the way, so I don't feel I'm wasting my money.

But compare that to the weeks I'd spend trying to beat a game on the Mega Drive. No continues, limited extra lives, brutal difficulty etc. You'd figure out how to do a level with your eyes shut, only to have to go through the whole learning process again on the next level. It meant by the time you we learning how to beat the final boss, you totally owned the rest of the game. And when you finally beat the final boss, the sense of satisfaction was immense. I can still remember the first time I beat Sonic because of this type of devotion.

But you'd spend hours learning the tricks, the traps, the patterns, the rhythm of every level and then have to do the next one. It's not really like that now. Many games do have this depth (E.g. I recently revisited Deus Ex Human Revolution which is a modern masterpiece), but many modern games (Deus Ex included) have the scope to bypass the depth and get straight to the instant gratification :huh: . Rightly or wrongly?!

But then, as an adult, I don't always have the time to devote to games as I did when I was 9 years old, so sometimes instant gratification is what's needed :rolleyes: .
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

It's not just casual gamers, even 'hardcore' players are addicted to quick saves and rewind functions. It's laughable.

I can't be fucked with a game if the main challenge is staving off boredom from the tutorials and repetitive unchallenging battles. But apparently I'm in the minority.
Tic Tac, sir?
SonicFan
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SonicFan »

The thing is, because games quick save and have little to no challenge, absolutely no one likes a challenge. Literally, all my friends give up at first sight of an challenge. It's stupid and annoying. That and COD/FPS fanboys piss me off.
To be this good takes AGES, to be this good takes SEGA!
BluePuyo
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BluePuyo »

I have to agree with everyone above, it's a mix of everything to me.

I would like to know what would be a fair difficulty for today games. Because, seriously, when I don't see people complaining about the game being too easy, I see people complaining that the game is too hard and that has a cheap difficulty. Does a middle ground exist?

Also, I don't think FPS has much to do with game difficulty in today's gaming.

FPS is just a genre. People who play it may spend the same time to learn the basics like anyone else would do in any other genre.
I can breeze through old games like Megaman and Castlevania but I can't play FPS or fighters to save my life.
metalgamer
Level 8
Level 8

Post by metalgamer »

In my opinion, there is no middle ground, since there's no way everyone's going to be satisfied. People are quite spoiled with easy games, which I try to play a few easy and hard games. But no, I see no middle ground since either way, one side of the argument is going to be unhappy.