The SEGA Trivia Thread

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Midwinter wrote:In the USA version of Sonic CD - Sega had hoped to bring continuity between the American cartoon, comic books and video games. The hope was that they could easily change Amy in to Princess Sally Acorn (who was featured in the comics and cartoon).

The manual that came with the USA version of Sonic CD mentions Princess Sally, but they failed to ever change anything in game. So we Americans were left with a pink hedgehog in game and a confusing manual that mentioned Princess Sally that was hues of brown in other media.
lolSegaofAmerica. Just lol.
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

I think what made it even sadder is that they were having Sonic save a princess. I can't imagine that to be like any other famous video game I know of.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Yeah well they weren't thinking of a humanoid princess back then... right?
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

Supposedly the awesome voiced "Sega" at the beginning of Sonic the Hedgehog on Genesis/Mega Drive took 1/8 of the total space of the cartridge.

Well worth it!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Ahah I agree. :D
kamifox1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kamifox1 »

Sonic was originally going to be a rabbit who would stretch his ears to grab things (this later became Ristar), he then became a human boy (who later became Billy Hatcher after some recolouring) then they finally settled on hedgehog (no idea why). he was also originally going to be coloured teal but the artist accidentally coloured him blue and his creator preferred that so it stuck.

Also, here's some videos that provide a fascinating insight to what happened to the infamous cancelled Saturn game, Sonic Xtreme, including several concepts, some of which look suspiciously like Sonic Lost World, especially one plot in particular (see if you notice it).
[video=youtube;HLPk2rGgg7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLPk2rGgg7s [/video]

Second one:

[youtube]hePIWmjV4bg[/youtube]

And third:
[youtube]zIP6GlmyXuI[/youtube]
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Japanese SEGA fans had an online mulitplayer gaming service called the Sega Meganet, that launched in 1990. It was done through dial-up access on a pay-to-play basis. It actually predates the SEGA Channel in that regard.
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

Alex Kidd High Tech World seems so different from all the other Alex Kidd games on SMS because it is really an Anmitsu Hime game that was altered for western markets.

I'm not even sure what happened with Alex Kidd in Shinobi World. It appears to be a conversion, but nothing came out in Japan that looks like it.