The SEGA Trivia Thread

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

The SEGA Trivia Thread

Post by Kaito-kun »

Just a place to share random SEGA related trivia.

To kick things off, here's a video containing 6 mildly interesting things about the Dreamcast:

[youtube]kSxB6Yi7wOg[/youtube]
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Ok I want ya'll to post stuff here. I'm always interested in some gaming trivia.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Here's one for you. SEGA - today based in Tokyo - was originally founded in 1945 by three Americans in Hawaii as "Service Games"; a company which manufactured and distributed slot machines as well as other coin-operated devices.
Opus Science
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Opus Science »

Michael Jackson was rumoured to be involved in the music of Sonic The Hedgehog 3, however for disputed reasons was never credited. Some claim he was unhappy with the final result and didn't want his name on it. Others that his association with the game was dropped and his music reworked due to the scandals that emerged at the time regards his fondness of young boys.

Either way, some people who work closely with Jackson as composers worked on the Sonic 3 soundtrack and a number of similarities can be heard between their work with other music acts and some music of Sonic 3. It's strongly believed also that Carnival Night Zone and Ice Cap Zone (one of my favourites) are in fact Michael Jackson originals. If that is indeed true, how cool is that!!! (putting aside the scandalous stuff of course :blink: ).
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Ice Cap?

Well...not after hearing this anyway. Ice Cap's original melody can be traced to Brad Buxor instead.

[video=youtube;H2OWC5Hosv8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OWC5Hosv8[/video]
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

IF I COULD HAVE ALL THE WOMEN IN THE WORLD I WOUL.. sorry I couldn't resist TCB XD
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Kaito-kun wrote:Here's one for you. SEGA - today based in Tokyo - was originally founded in 1945 by three Americans in Hawaii as "Service Games"; a company which manufactured and distributed slot machines as well as other coin-operated devices.
I did wonder if these old Slots that come up as "Sega" were actually Sega & not another firm.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Matty wrote:I did wonder if these old Slots that come up as "Sega" were actually Sega & not another firm.
I read it in a book. It must be true!
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Some little tidbits here.

Many Sega consoles were either ported to/from arcade hardware & the differences are usualy just more RAM or faster CPUs:

Master System =/= Sega System E/Shooting Zone
Mega drive/Genesis = MegaPlay/Mega Tech/System C-2*
Saturn = Sega STV
Dreamcast = Sega Naomi**

There was also a collaboration between Sega, Nintendo & Namco in the form of the Sega Triforce, which is based on the Gamecube. Also the Sega Chihiro which is built on Xbox hardware. The newer Sega Arcade boards are now just custom built PCs using off the shelf parts EG: Intel Pentium E2160 & 2GB DDR2 Ram.

*The Megatech/play is a interesting thing, the 2 are essentially the same, except for how they work, the Megaplay played like a normal arcade game, you run out of lives, you insert more coins for credit, but the Megatech series worked on the principle that you bought time to play & not lives.

**Sega Naomi was still used up until 2008 despite being discontinued by Sega in 2001/2002.