Steam Box(es) Poll!

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...

Will you be getting a Steam Box?

Hell yeah! I want one of Gabes babies!
22%
Not sure yet...
33%
Hell no! Why do I need that?
44%

Total votes: 9

p_nut_uk
Level 5
Level 5

Steam Box(es) Poll!

Post by p_nut_uk »

I've been following the Steam Box for a little bit and I was wondering how many of you are interested in it, everywhere I read it's getting slated for being... well not a very good idea, so I want to see your votes on this.
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

I like the idea of a Steam box (A Console that Valve has made) but the fact it's just a standard PC disappoints me. Would rather build a semi decent rig for the same cash.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

I voted not sure, simply because I already have a powerful PC for gaming, and a less powerful one on my living room.
So I don't think I need it. BUT
This is actually going to make me happier. Since SteamOS is actually Linux, and since I run linux on my desktop, I will have more games to play that run natively on Linux. And the in house streaming is a really nice idea as that means I can play games on my living room pc that could never be played on it as it is not powerful enough.
So I will probably be installing SteamOS on that PC.
But yeah, I am not sure about a steam machine
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

It was a good idea, a sort of steam console, but instead they're basically just doing the same as a Chrome Book. If people dont want to get into PC gaming because they find all the hardware options too intimidating then how does making the Steam Machines be made by multiple manufacturers help?
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Matty wrote:I like the idea of a Steam box (A Console that Valve has made) but the fact it's just a standard PC disappoints me. Would rather build a semi decent rig for the same cash.
See, the Steam Machines will be cheaper as Valve will be buying lots of parts so they will probably be getting discounts
Matty
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Matty »

Whooa21 wrote:See, the Steam Machines will be cheaper as Valve will be buying lots of parts so they will probably be getting discounts
But cheaper than self building? I find that hard to believe. Especially as Rek said the multiple manufacturers making them.

Just looked & built this PC - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ykP3 - Less than $2k USD whereas the box below is near $2.6k, maybe going high end wasn't the greatest example but none of the lower ones give a definitve spec/price it's all vague.

Edit: Should probably switch out Win 7 for Win 8 for the better CPU usage, but it's hardly going to add an extra $700 on top!
p_nut_uk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by p_nut_uk »

Whooa21 wrote:See, the Steam Machines will be cheaper as Valve will be buying lots of parts so they will probably be getting discounts
I don't think Steam are putting anything into the parts, they only thing they are doing is providing control pads, which manufacturers can actually clone to make their own. They're after the market of an 'under the TV' unit, but I think it will take some convincing to either convert PC gamers to this or console gamers to this, especially at the prices. I agree, an 'off the shelf' standardised product would have probably been a better idea. PC gamers aren't stupid and they can see that these are just parts thrown together, most PC gamers build to their own specs anyway.

Oh and of course there's the issue with converting Windows users to Linux 95% (IRRC) of users on Steam use Windows, it may not be the greatest OS but it is the most supported, and getting developers to make Linux games adding to their costs? Not convinced yet. I am however curious to try out the SteamOS...
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I've not really been following the issue. I don't really see the point in them just yet.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

The point of these was never to appeal to PC gamers, Valve already have them. This was supposed to get people who don't game on a PC for whatever reason an easy entry into PC game and, more importantly, buying shit on Steam.

Being Linux based isn't really a problem either, since it'll probably be a graphically similar to using steam in big picture mode.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Am I the only one here who tried SteamOS?
You can just shove it in a VM and whatnot