Dreamcast Online With 6 Billion Players

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Dreamcast Online With 6 Billion Players

Post by Midwinter »

I know that back in 1999 there were 6 billion gamers playing Dreamcast online (according to Sega), but I was wondering if anyone here still takes their girl online and what method they use and what games they play.

I was sure hoping I could play Chu Chu Rocket online again, but I haven't found anyone that has figured it out. From what I have read the only games that are still online are the ones that people were able to figure out while Sega still had servers online or the games used the same source code to work as their PC brethren.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

I can get my Dreamcast online with a PC <-> DC server.
I haven't played any online games and the PC I used no longer exists so I have to set this whole thing up again.
Not sure if there is a loader or a patcher that lets you play chu chu rocket without SEGA's servers.
I know you can play Quake 3 Arena this way on the dreamcast.
Also, how can there be 6 billion players when there were way less consoles sold?
wikipedia wrote: Units Sold: Worldwide: 10.6 million
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

Whooa21 wrote: Also, how can there be 6 billion players when there were way less consoles sold?
I don't believe that there were 6 billion players. That was Sega's advertising campaign and media quotes they used for the Dreamcast back in 1999. I assume it was more of a joke than anything with the thought that everyone in the world would buy a Dreamcast and be playing online. As far as I know they only used this advertising in Europe.
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

Yeah, it was a reference to the whole world (around 6 billion people at the time) being able to play together. Here:

[video=youtube_share;71KZURU6hDc]http://youtu.be/71KZURU6hDc[/video]
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Ah XD
Apologies then, I have never seen that actually, thanks KC
blkbrdsr71
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blkbrdsr71 »

Sure would be sweet to dust off my Dreamcast again, (I might do that now) if only SEGA Net was still up. I used to brag to my friends about how Dreamcast was so much better then PlayStation 2 or the Original XBOX. Good times.
LONG LIVE SEGA!
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

KC wrote:Yeah, it was a reference to the whole world (around 6 billion people at the time) being able to play together. Here:

[video=youtube_share;71KZURU6hDc]http://youtu.be/71KZURU6hDc[/video]
'king hell, is that really what the picture quality of video tapes was like?
Tic Tac, sir?
xxDrBarberxx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xxDrBarberxx »

Killer French Bread wrote:'king hell, is that really what the picture quality of video tapes was like?
Yeah, depending on the age. Although you're not gonna find anything super high-quality on VHS.
If you are like me, you put words in your signature.
blkbrdsr71
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blkbrdsr71 »

I remember playing Star Lancer on Dreamcast Online. It was my very first game I played with other players, then the phone bill came... :sadgoodbye:
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Yeah, I was only allowed to play online when it was off-peak and 1p a minute. I remember rationing my internet allowance to play quake arena. Those times still feel like the glory days of gaming for me for some reason though,
Tic Tac, sir?