GLiTCH

The latest updates and comments on our Live Shows...
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

GLiTCH

Post by Gavvie »

From this Sunday just gone, RadioSEGA took the wraps off of the viral marketing campaign that we had been running since the middle of February, announcing our newest show: GLiTCH.

GLiTCH is my return to the airwaves since Saturday Night SEGA ended on New Year's Eve, and is an entirely new show concept, but before we go into more detail on that, here's how it came about:

The idea first cropped up in my head towards the end of SNS' run, as I was starting to notice that the same few shows were playing the same few tracks. Indeed, even on SNS, the same people were requesting the same songs, some of which had played on the 24/7 beforehand. I started to think about the games that people weren't requesting tracks from. Some of them have got killer soundtracks, and yet nobody has ever really heard them due to the same tracks being played, and hence, GLiTCH was born.

Along with KC, foreversonic and Shadow Remix, we started to piece together the initial show concept which was pitched around November time. Originally, the show was going to move around on different days and times, as glitches themselves are never truly constant, but RadioSEGA's growing suite of live shows (some still TBA) meant that this wasn't a viable option. So, we agreed on the timeslot which I eventually broadcast on this past Sunday. Instead, we developed our viral idea.

Time to come clean to you all: glitch.exe, the mysterious poster who was posting show blogs and "hacked" our Twitter account, was me. Using the show concept as a guideline, we developed a story upon which glitch.exe would ask you to stop being normal (requesting the same songs) and to instead embrace the weird (unheard tracks). Along the way, I left little breadcrumbs that I was up to something:

SEGA Pick Up Lines Special - Announcing on air that something was going to happen in March
The SEGA Jukebox - A show that an episode of RS had parodied, called That Was, This Is
SEGA AGES - I presented the ResidentSD Tribute episode after his run on the show had ended
SEGApocalypse - A show that I developed alongside Rexy, which she ended up presenting. Also used this one after her SMD blog poked fun at the GLiTCH.
FastLane! - A show developed alongside Jon the VG Nerd.
RadioSEGA's Olympic Relay - I hosted an hour of this 4 hour show, celebrating the 2012 Olympics

The last show blog was going to be in Saturday Night SEGA, but I thought that was too obvious, so it was changed. And that was that, at 11pm UK Time on Sunday 16th March, I returned with a new show that, true to form, had some teething problems.

So what, exactly, is GLiTCH? Well, it's a 60 minute show dedicated to the lesser known tracks in SEGA's rather exhaustive history, with the odd popular track thrown in here and there. For example, if we were to do a show dedicated to Sonic, it would be geared more towards the spin-offs than the games that everybody can more easily recall. There also won't be an abundance of remixes being played on the show, unless they're either official or little known ones that deserve a wider audience.

One important point to note is that, to start off with, this show is non-request. Once people have grown used to the concept, as it is so different to the rest of what RS offers, then we can start to open it up a little bit but, for the time being, it is what it is.

We can use this thread to discuss the episodes, as well as if there were any tracks played that you hadn't heard but now like, to any games that you feel should deserve a play on air. Again, whilst specific track requests aren't being taken yet, I am open to the idea of people throwing games at me. I'm also in the process of updating my RS playlist to match that of the actual website, so whilst the show might seem quite limited at present, in time it will open up.

GLiTCH will air every Sunday at 11pm UK Time and if you did happen to miss it, the Podcast for Episode 1 is now here: http://www.radiosegamedia.net/podcasts/ ... -mar-2014/
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Not gonna lie Gavvie. You got me good. I actually thought the site was in danger xD so congrats on fooling so many of us. Love the idea for the show, but why the name glitch?
Opus Science
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Opus Science »

Great campaign in the lead up to this. Totally hook, line and sinker on the GliTCH! Had us all fooled into thinking something very bad was about to happen for reasons unknown. The show was awesome and it will definitely grow, it's a great premise for a show. Playing many classics that slip under the radar as they're off the beaten track.

Hopefully the show will be around for a long time.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

To be perfect fair, I didn't take much insight into this; I will say I too thought it was some legit stuff going down with the site. When it was revealed I was 'oh, coolio'. So as a show concept it was definitely needed.

I do believe I hinted at a game or two on the first episode that you can take a crack at in the future.
RetroBob
Level 5
Level 5
Preferred pronouns: That bellend

Post by RetroBob »

Sounds interesting, will give it a listen now!
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

Gonic wrote:but why the name glitch?
I've only just seen this XD

The name came about due to the original nature of the show whilst in its original concept. Glitches are something that you're not normally meant to see, but some of them can be quite amusing. Glitches are also hard to pinpoint, and as such tend to appear at random times. GLiTCH was a show that, as I mentioned previously, was going to move around a lot on the airwaves, and get announced at short notice like Last Call was. Even when that idea was knocked back, the name stuck.

Even the podcast's name, GLiTCH Report, is a reference to glitches in everyday life, seeing as it's a recording of a glitch that had occurred.
Opus Science
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Opus Science »

Good show again last night. Nice work.

Still lovin' the premise of GLiTCH too. "Embrace the weird". The unsung heroes of video game music need recognition sometimes too. This show does that. Long live GLiTCH.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

With the show now 7/10 of the way through its trial run, I thought it best to open up a poll for you, the listener, to decide on whether or not it should become a permanent addition to the RadioSEGA lineup.

All you need to do to vote is click the link here, and then choose your option :D
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I voted for it to continue past its 10 episode 'Trial' run...with the catch it remains an hour. Doesn't mean I DON'T want it to be two hours; I just feel an hour on Sunday evenings of not-played-as-often music feels good.