Virtual Reality? Is it really that great?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Virtual Reality? Is it really that great?

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Now with the recent announcement of the Sony VR thing and the Oculus 2 and whatnot, I really don't like the road gaming is taking with these... virtual stuff...

I mean I get it. Yeah it's the next "Big thing" for gaming and will enhance our experience beyond what we have ever experienced but this virtual path humanity is taking rather scares me with things like the Google Glass or Oculus crap. I just can't help myself but imagine us all like the people in Wall-E in the future or maybe wearing Nerve Gears like Sword Art Online.
I don't WANT to feel like I'm in the game. I want to be at the comfort of my own living room, knowing that I'm simply playing a game while holding some company's controller and moving my character forward. Sure I want to have enhanced control over my character, connect with the story and have a great time but at no stage do I ever want to be the character. Games like The Last of Us deliver a solid experience even without VR.

Maybe I'm just taking this the wrong way... but, again, this all rather scares me. I feel as if with this, we're going to keep going, slowly drifting apart from what we know as the real reality and create a virtual world. And if everyone starts owning one of these virtual consoles and some company releases some addictive game on it, imagine how much people would spend time on them.
That's arguable though cause it doesn't matter if a game is using VR technology or not, if it's good, people will play it... but at least when they're playing it with a controller form the TV, they're aware of their surroundings and what's happening around them. When they've stuck a huge device onto their heads blocking their eyes, ears and god knows what else in the future, how aware are people going to be? This isn't just about gaming either...

So what are your opinions? Think VR is a good thing or not?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

We're still a few years off from anything being "the norm" so I'm just sticking with a "wait and see" tactic for now.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

No I'm not worried. Why?

Because we are so far off from VR being a thing to the point that familes upon families can just sit down and play together that like traditional gaming means. In my opinion, I don't even think we reached this 'full-body' motion control (ergo Kinect) so I see that as being, as for now, failing.

Maybe VR can be just more than a 'gimmick', but time will tell.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

well the VR bullcrap is certainly selling well if it's making all big companies work on their own shit. Sure it may be still not fully developed but it's getting there. Virtual Reality's always been a gig ever since the 90s and probably before that. It's just now that I think people are starting to actually get the hang of it with the Oculus and others. We may be still heaps far away from when this'll happen but we'll live to say the day it'll happen.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Sounds like you're having a full blown existential crisis BSF. They only cure is whisky and a nice cigar.
Tic Tac, sir?
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Ahah I blame my heavy workload at year 12. It's really pushing me and not giving me enough sleep which is not doing me any favours. Maybe I AM thinking too much lol.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

If its not another thorw away gimmick like the move was then it could be good. (esspically since they said there working on how to stop motion sickness with it)
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Oculus Rift sounds pretty legit, seems to be almost unanimously praised by everyone and John Carmack even left the company he founded to work with it (though it probably doesn't help that bethesda zenimax are fucking iD over left and right). I'm excited to own one when the public version is ready.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Reknoc wrote:Oculus Rift sounds pretty legit, seems to be almost unanimously praised by everyone and John Carmack even left the company he founded to work with it (though it probably doesn't help that bethesda zenimax are fucking iD over left and right). I'm excited to own one when the public version is ready.
Now that Facebook owns Oculus, you still want one?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Now that Facebook owns Oculus, you still want one?
As long as they can make good on their promise that it won't change anything other than to be able to use better hardware and to get a consumer product out faster, yes.