The game that never happened.

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
blkbrdsr71
Level 1
Level 1

The game that never happened.

Post by blkbrdsr71 »

Eternal Champions: The Final Chapter was an unreleased game planned for the Sega Saturn by the former member of Sega of America, Michael Latham. The game only made it past the first 20 pages of concept art before being forcefully canceled by Sega of Japan, seeing the game as competition for the Saturn version of AM2's Virtua Fighter.

Michael Latham stated in a 2005 interview by Sega-16.com:Sega of Japan felt that Eternal Champions was keeping Virtua Fighter from being more successful in the US and that it would be better if the company focused on only one franchise...and as Sega is a Japanese company, the Japan side won. It was a crushing blow, and was the only time in working nearly a decade at Sega I considered quitting. I mainly stayed with the hope to change that decision, but sadly never could. Even when we did the NetFighter project for Heat.net, we weren't able to use the Eternal characters as a hidden bonus. From Japan's view the game never existed, in spite of its stellar sales and even offers to do comic books and a cartoon around it.
Source: http://segaretro.org/Eternal_Champions: ... al_Chapter
Greatodyer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Greatodyer »

Hmm...sounds good. Shame it never made it :(
Takes more than expired soda to have a party. It takes guests, with breasts and mine don't count.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqbqtosuVk1qbr1yco1_500.jpg
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Eternal Champions was okay, but come on. Virtua Fighter was the boy. Most companies don't have more than one product in one genre - Microsoft cancelled PGR because they had Forza for example. Sega had Virtua Fighter, Fighters Megamix, Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, Golden Axe the Duel and Sonic Fighters going on at that time in the fighting genre. It's fair enough they were being prudent about what fighting games they were going to commission with that competition.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I just had to search online for Eternal Champions, having never heard of it before now. So the potential sequel can't have been that great a loss.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Such a niche title like this couldn't gotten a sequel right?