Guilty Pleasure Films

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Chukapi
Level 3
Level 3

Guilty Pleasure Films

Post by Chukapi »

Title sums it up pretty much, to be honest! I thought it'd be fun for people to share their guilty pleasures where films are concerned and see if anyone else shares theirs with others (or if you thoroughly disagree with someone and need to beat it into their brain that they're totally crazy for liking anything starring Adam Sandler).

I think for me it often comes down to nostalgia which makes me retain a guilty pleasure for some really clearly crappy films. Other times, I just like to take films at face value, just enjoying a bit of pointless entertainment, and eventually ending up shrugging when people point out all the things wrong with it and saying "meh, it was a fun ride."

Here are a few of mine off the top of my head:

-Batman Forever
Say what you want, Jim Carrey is just freaking hilarious as the Riddler, and Tommy Lee Jones as two face is - while nowhere near as good as the Nolan version - also super fun to watch.
-Dodgeball
Just another one that I know has mixed opinions. I think it's a good, funny watch.

-The Green Lantern
Hey, remember that time Ryan Reynolds fucked up Deadpool? Cause that was totally his fault, and not shit scripting at all! Oh no! He's at it again with DC's Hal Jordan! Except I like Ryan Reynolds, and I kindaaa liked this film just for the ride. Don't get me wrong, I get it. I get the stuff that's wrong with it. But I just can't help but feel like it gets way more hate simply because it's Ryan Reynolds (maybe, maybe not). He gets unwarranted hate.

But anyway, let's all just wait for the new Deadpool on the edge of our seats
like the giddy children we are,soaking up any new test footage that's released. :3

-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
This is just one of those hilarious parodies of Chinese martial art films that is so bad it's good. Partially blinded by nostalgia here, I think.

Those are the only ones I can think of right now. I'm sure you guys will bring something up that I may also have a guilty pleasure for!

Let's hear all of yours! Get sharing!
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Green Lantern for me as well, It came out in a time where all super hero films were dark and broody, it was a welcome change in my eyes. It has its faults and I can clearly see why people disliked it, but overall it was a fun little ride. The uncut version of this film does add a bit of a kick to it I should mention

YuGiOh Bond of time is another one for me, people hate YuGiOh GX but i for one love it, it was great seeing Judai (Jaden) team up with Yugi and that guy from 5D (Yusei i think).

Taken 2 in my opinion was a decent follow up to the original, was more of Liam Nesseon being a bad ass and the film did its best to show case that.

Resident Evil 2 & 3, they were silly action flicks...I thought they were watchable xD
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

[video=youtube;q9R389kyfYE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9R389kyfYE[/video]
Tic Tac, sir?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

The live-action Street Fighter movie. I dunno...it's just so narmy and cringeworthy to the source material but I love it for that same reason.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I've heard that film has a bit of a cult following, It cant be that bad.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Chukapi wrote:-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
This is just one of those hilarious parodies of Chinese martial art films that is so bad it's good. Partially blinded by nostalgia here, I think.
"That's a lot of nuts!"
Killer French Bread wrote:[video=youtube;q9R389kyfYE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9R389kyfYE[/video]
That was certainly something. Might have to look into it further.
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

Transformers (the movie) the 2 disc edition, oddly enough my mom was lucky to even find a copy of this classic when the dvd was released. I watch it every now and then, to digest how far this series has gone.

Any Marvel film (oh sweet jesus did Sam Raimi's Spidey have so much extras!) And recent films have had plenty of extra goodies, but man how much can one not enjoy it?!

Man Of Steel - (okay I love the classic S films, but MoS really surprised me) I still need to dig through the extra features
Batman Begins / TDK / TDKR - enough said
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

When you say marvel films...which ones do you mean? Because the newer ones are awesome.
Buta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Buta »

Chukapi wrote:-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
I don't feel guilty at all about liking this one. XD

I can't think of any films to be honest... I definitely like many weird and wonderful things though. I'm always being told I'm odd or zaney so I guess I'm just used to it and don't feel guilty? We're not hurting anyone so meh to 'em!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Digimon: The Movie - It seems like nobody enjoyed this movie. Every says how confusing the plot is and how nothing makes sense. Especially since the movie is actually 3 short movies stitched together with an English narrator. But to me... I loved it. I'm guessing It's because of Nostalgia but I truly loved and still love that movie. Heck I even find the "awful" Digi-rap catchy lol. I personally find that people dump their hate on the story of the anime. What I believe they don't understand is that this was a movie aimed at kids. Maybe I'm just generalising everyone but kids like me didn't care about the story. We just wanted to see cool digimon digivolving into cooler digimon and fighting other cool digimon. And you know what? That's exactly what I got. The animation is superb and the fight scenes looked beautiful. I still love this movie <3

Hoodwinked - Not the second movie cause even I admit that was utter garbage. But the first one was pretty decent for me. I mean sure, it was pretty much Shrek with red riding hood slapped on it and some jokes were cheesy but for what it was, it did a pretty good job. The animation was bad and outdated but I never really noticed (as a kid) until I watched it again a few months ago. Though looking back at the movie, I still think the woodcutter guy was pointless and they only added him to add length to the movie.