The Trading Card Game Thread

What it says on the tin...
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

The Trading Card Game Thread

Post by Quills on Wheels »

So I felt like it wouldn't hurt having this.

It's been a few months now since I started playing Yu-Gi-Oh. I'd watched the anime since I was a kid but I didn't get into the game until a while ago when my friend got back into it. So far I've actually been doing really well for someone who hasn't even played for a full months. I do considerably well in my locals.
My main deck is Cyber Dragons (cause I love cyber dragons) and I also later on went and made a Lightsworn deck to be able to have a more competitive deck. I'm yet to reach top 8 in my local tournaments but I'll get there. I've been close a number of times.

So how about everyone else? Does anyone else play any Trading Card games? YGO, Magic the Gathering, Vanguard(eugh) or pokemon?
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

I've got a lovely set of Top Trumps: Endangered wildlife edition. Last played on an inclement holiday in Wales. The best card is the tropical snail, it has 20 for endagereness.
Tic Tac, sir?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Killer French Bread wrote:I've got a lovely set of Top Trumps: Endangered wildlife edition. Last played on an inclement holiday in Wales. The best card is the tropical snail, it has 20 for endagereness.
Nice. Can't beat Top Trumps. We used to play it blind (Simpsons version) and I'd end up card counting to win.

Bought a couple of Weiss Schwartz trial decks recently.

Weiss Schwartz! For when you want to sink even lower down the trading card game ladder than Magic: The Gathering!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

I think I used to have a Top trumps myself. Was a Harry Potter edition.

Pretty fun but in the end, not really a trading card game though right? I gives you pack of a version and that's it. You play with that. Kinda like Uno?
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Id be more invested in trading card games. But they're way to expensive.
Buta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Buta »

I've played some trading card games but stopped collecting (MTG mostly) because of loss of interest or too expensive. Tend to play videogame versions these days. Besides MTG, have also tried Yu GI Oh, Pokemon, TMNT, and some other watered down mechanics card game that came with an anime that name escapes me. The power was on the bottom of the card and the creature was on the top... You played them depending on your circumstances (Edit: It is called Duel Masters)... I don't recommend it anyway.

I love board games a lot more than CCG (love backing new games and going to gaming events when I can) and so I'm more checking card games that come with all the cards as standard under the board game umbrella (including deck building ones - I own the Resident Evil Mercenaries one for example).
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Yeah Trading cards can become quite expensive and if you want to be good it, you have got to be willing to spend quite a bit of money on cards to keep up. In the end, I came to realise that you just have to accept it as a hobby and spend that money on it.

One TCG I would have loved playing is Digimon. I really don't know about about the card game mind you. I'm just a huge fan of the franchise so naturally a card game sounds awesome. Also it's a shame the game isn't very popular and I can't find anything here.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon, at the height of their popularity and a few months afterward. They were the card games of my childhood. Hell, in the case of the former, I had one of those Duel Disk toys for my deck...good times.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I loved my YiGiOh Duel Disk.
Atrias
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Atrias »

MTG all the way here, been playing since I was about 8 years old and got far too many cards and decks these days...

Gotta agree with Quills too, you have to expect to spend a lot of money to keep up, but asides from Type 1 competitive play given the amount of cards and the variety and the wealth of mechanics you don't NEED to keep up to keep playing and have fun! I've tried Pokemon and others but MTG is the only one that keeps me coming back because the subject matter is so wide and varied (plus I lost track of pokemon after about Gen3!).

Also, it may be digital only, but does Hearthstone count?! :P
Faster than the speed of sound, sneaker wearing, chilli dog eating hedgehog with a penchant for industrial scale vandalism, animal activism and jewellery theft. Seems legit.