What's your stance on SEGA?

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

What's your stance on SEGA?

Post by Twinny »

And I mean that for all the territories. America, Europe, Japan and anything in between. Are tensions still there between divisions? Is one looking better than the other?

To me, SEGA of Japan is looking real good. With the Tokyo Game Show happening and what not. It's what SEGA of America wish it could do at E3 but these days can't. Plus the IPs between each territory as well, it's clearly a divide between the West and East.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Sega of Ausralia shut down so yeah... :(
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

I'm sure you all know my stance by now: SEGA Japan makes some cool stuff, it's just such a shame the they don't seem interested in bringing it West. Meanwhile, the Western divisions make decent PC strategy titles. It's just a shame that the West spends so much time fawning over Sonic.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I miss when Sega was actually creative with thier IPs. I also wish they would listen to their loyal followers and localize Yakuza and other games
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

Kaito-kun wrote:I'm sure you all know my stance by now: SEGA Japan makes some cool stuff, it's just such a shame the they don't seem interested in bringing it West. Meanwhile, the Western divisions make decent PC strategy titles. It's just a shame that the West spends so much time fawning over Sonic.
Pretty much this. The worst bad company is one that still makes games but doesn't bring them out in your region. Of course, Yakuza is pretty much done in the west, for whatever reason it doesn't sell. Which I can't help but blame on SEGA, hell Atlus/NISA/XSEED manage to get out wordier and more terrible games that do well enough for them to support.
Twinny
News Team
News Team

Post by Twinny »

Reknoc wrote:Pretty much this. The worst bad company is one that still makes games but doesn't bring them out in your region. Of course, Yakuza is pretty much done in the west, for whatever reason it doesn't sell. Which I can't help but blame on SEGA, hell Atlus/NISA/XSEED manage to get out wordier and more terrible games that do well enough for them to support.
SEGA Europe even managed to publish an Atlus title there. But here in the States, nope, it doesn't look to Altus being one of theirs.

TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

My stance is pretty much the same as Kaito-Kun's response. It's a dang shame too; SEGA was once so full of brash creativity in the 90s/early 2000's. Now that Sonic has pretty much become their lifeline in the West, their other IPs fell to the wayside. Oh, and their PC titles are doing alright.

On the Japan front, it seems there's still popularizing and profiting off from a number of IPs that doesn't have Sonic's brand-name on it. Case in point; their TGS lineup.
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

It is definitely sad to see Sega in its current state. I definitely have never regained the excitement level I had last during the Dreamcast years.

I do see Sega bringing Hatsune Miku over to the west and the Sega Twitter account recently said that supposedly Phantasy Star was still coming to the west (I pray that answer was true!).

I'm kind of sad with video games in general right now though. When most companies are seeing that profits are to be had from mobile platforms we are back to the arcade days. Shelling out quarters to keep our games alive. It might be nice when mobile devices have an easier time of handling larger and more complex games. I don't mind giving Sega my money on mobile devices, but there isn't a lot of incentive for development any longer.
Twinny
News Team
News Team

Post by Twinny »

It's a shame that the current generation is only getting like 3-5 existing IPs today from SEGA West compared to the dozens it had back in the late 80s-early 00s. Times change, we get that but what a dwindling number of franchises the company has now.

At least SEGA of Japan is still banking on a good number of franchises at the moment, even Sonic although it isn't getting much publicity there than it does in Western territories.

Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

Twinny wrote:It's a shame that the current generation is only getting like 3-5 existing IPs today from SEGA West compared to the dozens it had back in the late 80s-early 00s. Times change, we get that but what a dwindling number of franchises the company has now.

At least SEGA of Japan is still banking on a good number of franchises at the moment, even Sonic although it isn't getting much publicity there than it does in Western territories.
They are getting Sonic Boom in Japan (even though Iizuka had said it was not coming to Japan earlier this year). It will be interesting to see how it is received over there much less in the other parts of the world.