Chickaroo Reviews - Contrast (PS3)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Contrast (PS3)

Post by chickaroo1 »

Ever wondered if you could interact with those strange creatures known as shadows? Well now you can walk in them and with them!
Game: Contrast
Systems: PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One
Release Dates: 11/15/13 (NA), 11/29/13 (EU)
Developers: Compulsion Games

Getting Back Together

Story: The story takes place in 1920’s (probably during the roaring 20’s era, before the Great Depression). A little girl named Didi and her imaginary friend named Dawn are our heroes of the story. Didi is concerned with her parent’s relationship, as her father had left a while ago and hasn’t returned since. She asks her mother where he’s been, but she just sighs and answers with an “I don’t know” and leaves Didi to perform her show. Didi sneaks out with Dawn and discovers that her dad is still in town and wants to put on a circus. Didi decides that she should help alongside Dawn.

Fun Times in Glitchville Today
Gameplay: (Oh boy where do I start).
So you play as Dawn. She can do some things. She can run, jump and jump into shadows (or “shift” into them) and dash. The game consists of puzzles and 2.5D platforming and 3D platforming. The puzzles are mostly ways to get Dawn around since she has to rely on shadows to get around. In order to get Dawn around, you'll have to move objects around to cast shadows. This can be pretty easy or pretty difficult. Sometimes while in the shadows, if Dawn gets stuck, she may get pushed out of the shadows and end up back in the 3D world. This can become frustrating sometimes since Dawn could end up dropping back down to the ground where she started. While in the shadows, moving around and jumping around can become a bit glitchy. This is where things can get frustrating. And it takes away the fun of the game. Not only is there the glitchy gameplay, but there are things to collect as well. There are these little glowing spheres called lumines (I think). Sometimes, you’re required to have one in order to power a machine. And there are other things to collect such as newspapers or pictures that act as puzzle pieces.

Between Light and Dark
Graphics: This game does look pretty good. Its design is amazingly cool. From it’s atmosphere to it’s glorious color scheme. This game has design! But on the downside, the areas seem empty and the world looks like it’s falling apart (no really, I’m serious). I don’t know if it’s explained later in the game or not. Eh, who knows. Good art style though.

Gimmie That Swing!
Music: This soundtrack is pretty cool. It’s got a lot of swing and some slow jazz songs. And even some vocal tracks too! It’s a very cool soundtrack. It gives the world life and beauty to it’s emptiness.

Step Into The Shadows?
Overall: Contrast turned out to be an okay game. Which sucks, because I really wanted to like this game. I liked the concept and the art style. It drew me in. But then I got to play it and well, the gameplay is kind of turning me off from the game. I just wish the gameplay was better. It’s a bit of a disappointment but at least it looks cool, right?

3 / 5