Dreamcast, the console that changed the gaming generation

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Jon the VGNerd wrote:...with advanced graphics that surpassed the PlayStation 1,
Well, yes, but that's like saying a PS4 surpasses the Xbox 360. The Saturn was the console SEGA used to compete against the PS1. The Dreamcast was supposed to compete with the PS2.
TheChaosBlue wrote: I really want to own one in the future.
Oh, it's worth giving a go. I bought one a few years back. Used it to play the first few levels of the fantastic Jet Set Radio and 10 minutes of Sonic Adventure.

No, wait, it really wasn't worth it since JSR now is available on PC, PS3, Vita, 360, iOS, Android. As with pretty much every other decent SEGA made Dreamcast title.
Atrias wrote:...moved my support to the Microsoft camp since the Dreamcast faded into the realms of nostalgia.
Oh Lord, there are still people who pledge these kind of loyalties to multinational cooperations who don't give a damn about them? Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Google, EA, Ubisoft, SEGA, etc, etc. Each of them would happily sell you and your expectations of them out for the right price.
Quills on Wheels wrote:Well there was a reason it's the most units sold console in the world.
It's not. The PS2 and DS have definately sold more.
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

Kaito-kun wrote:It's not. The PS2 and DS have definately sold more.
I believe he meant the PS2.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

KC wrote:I believe he meant the PS2.
My bad. It was somewhat ambiguous.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Kaito-kun wrote:My bad. It was somewhat ambiguous.
Yep, I meant PS2.

But I've got to agree with you. Every well made SEGA game has been ported to other consoles so many times now. SEGA continues to try and milk those old games instead of letting them be the gems they were. I really feel bad. :\
Jon the VGNerd

Post by Jon the VGNerd »

Quills on Wheels wrote:Yep, I meant PS2.

But I've got to agree with you. Every well made SEGA game has been ported to other consoles so many times now. SEGA continues to try and milk those old games instead of letting them be the gems they were. I really feel bad. :\
Agreed. At least Sega GT 2002, Crazy Taxi 3 and Shenmue II were still great for an original Xbox. Plus, Project Gotham Racing series was like the precursor to the Dreamcast's very own Metropolis Street Racer (minus visual damage).
SONIC123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SONIC123 »

If PS2 did not have a DVD drive I think the Dreamcast would have succeded
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

SONIC123 wrote:If PS2 did not have a DVD drive I think the Dreamcast would have succeded
Or the opposite, if the Dreamcast had a DVD drive it would have succeeded :p
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Basically what the Dreamcast had plus add onto it the features the PS2 had and would've made the former's lifespan last juuuuust a couple years longer.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Kaito-kun »

Twinny wrote:Basically what the Dreamcast had plus add onto it the features the PS2 had and would've made the former's lifespan last juuuuust a couple years longer.
True. After the Saturn SEGA were well up the creek without a paddle, all things considered the Dreamcast did pretty well for them.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Kaito-kun wrote:True. After the Saturn SEGA were well up the creek without a paddle, all things considered the Dreamcast did pretty well for them.
I would've had both a Dreamcast and a PS2 if that were the case then.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010