Dreamcast, the console that changed the gaming generation

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Jon the VGNerd

Dreamcast, the console that changed the gaming generation

Post by Jon the VGNerd »

Before the Dreamcast's downfall, it was a console that changed the gaming generations altogether, with advanced graphics that surpassed the PlayStation 1, with notable games that has smooth, 60FPS graphics that include Sonic Adventure 2, Maken X, SEGA Sports games, Crazy Taxi, F355 Challenge and Power Stone. The VMU (which doubles as a portable mini-game and an irresistible sight to see while gaming) and its accessories also added really wonderful touches, and the controller itself was uniquely designed, as well as the console itself (fun fact, it is compatible with Windows CE). One of its notable features before the arrival of the PS2 and Xbox was its online playability feature that was featured, with games like Phantasy Star Online, Daytona USA, Sonic Adenture 1 & 2, Bomberman Online and Metropolis Street Racer.

Even after its discontinuation, its legacy lived on, just to prove that a 15-year old console will never be forgotten, proving that the Dreamcast changed the gaming generation. With Xbox as the Dreamcast's spiritual successor, you could say that the Dreamcast passed its torch to Xbox for it to live on. As silly it may be, the Xbox (and its later consoles) is indeed the Dreamcast's spiritual successor. And if you want to check out the tribute, search for Dreamcast HD Tribute on YouTube (parts 1 & 2) to re-live the past, and the credit goes to Dreamcaster's Tube for showing that this gem still shines after many years since its production in 1998 and 1999. Dream on, Dreamcast. Dream on.

Its thinking.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

The Dreamcast is one of those consoles I read up about more than any other console. I truly find this hardware fascinating, from its pre-launch development to its active years to its aftermath.

I really want to own one in the future.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

The Dreamcast sure had lots of different designs through its lifetime.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Atrias
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Atrias »

It truly was a brilliant machine, with so very much going for it. I agree Jon that Xbox is essentially the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast legacy and have moved my support to the Microsoft camp since the Dreamcast faded into the realms of nostalgia. Now, if only SEGA could resurrect some of its franchises that truly made them great, and do justice to their legacy then they would seriously rise in contention again. I for one second an idea that I read on this forum recently about SEGA doing one of these set-top box style bits of hardware with access to the full SEGA back-catalogue. That would be amazing and let the Dream live on!
Faster than the speed of sound, sneaker wearing, chilli dog eating hedgehog with a penchant for industrial scale vandalism, animal activism and jewellery theft. Seems legit.

Sergadra
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Sergadra »

Well i read there are persons out there who still trying to write games for it what's quiet impressive
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Ah yep. The Dreamcast is quite cool. My friends bought me one for my birthday so I got the chance to actually own this piece of amazing hardware (though not anywhere near mint condition). I really do like it, the controller seems nice to hold and while I'm not able to try its online features, I do believe that this was some really amazing stuff. At least... before the PS2 came.

Ironically, despite the controller feeling really comfortable, I also think it is one of its weakest points. Maybe I'm picky but having no right analogue stick can suck in 3D games (Gosh that camera pisses me off in Sonic Adventure). Also the fact that the cable comes out from the bottom of the controller instead of the top is really weird. They did figure it out though cause the controllers have that grip that holds your cable on the top but my question is why do that in the first place? XD

But yeah, it was great. And god the VMU. Such a nice little thing that's still unique to the Dreamcast up to this date. To be able to use it not only as a memory card but for a portable little game device. Hah brilliant. Mind you, I haven't experienced this yet but I've heard that the battery runs out quite quickly for them.
Sergadra
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Sergadra »

In my opinion PS2 wasn't better even in the end...
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Well there was a reason it's the most units sold console in the world.
Sergadra
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Sergadra »

Well we could be much further if they more worked on the Dreamcast from the consols
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

Sergadra wrote:Well i read there are persons out there who still trying to write games for it what's quiet impressive
Here's a fine example of that: Elysian Shadows