Dreamcast, the console that changed the gaming generation

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Twinny wrote:Basically what the Dreamcast had plus add onto it the features the PS2 had and would've made the former's lifespan last juuuuust a couple years longer.
I wouldn't say a just a couple. Sony discontinued the PS2 in 2013 (or was it 2014, don't remember). Whichever the case pretty sure the dreamcast wouldn't have its lifespan cut out from the ps2 because it could play games AND DVDs for the price.
Jon the VGNerd

Post by Jon the VGNerd »

Whooa21 wrote:I wouldn't say a just a couple. Sony discontinued the PS2 in 2013 (or was it 2014, don't remember). Whichever the case pretty sure the dreamcast wouldn't have its lifespan cut out from the ps2 because it could play games AND DVDs for the price.
PS2 ended in 2013.
Sergadra
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Sergadra »

KC wrote:Here's a fine example of that: Elysian Shadows
Indeed thats the one i saw also Sonic Xtreme was tested short ago on Dreamcast emulation or was it the Dreamcast itself? I can't remember...
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Sergadra wrote:Indeed thats the one i saw also Sonic Xtreme was tested short ago on Dreamcast emulation or was it the Dreamcast itself? I can't remember...
That was saturn
Sergadra
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Sergadra »

Ouh sorry my fail i don't know much about the project but thanks for correcting ^_^
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I feel if the Dreamcast had that fabled DVD player functionality (which, as you know, uses the DVD-ROM format. Wasn't there issues along those lines in that the Dreamcast game disks used a different format) maaaaaaaybe it would have, what, 2-3 more years in its tank?
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I don't think a DVD drive would have helped any, the reasons the PS2 slaughtered it are still there, publishers and developers would still have jumped ship and it'd still have sank.
Urban Flow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Urban Flow »

So many memories with the Dreamcast. It was definitely an awesome system, I still play it today along with my genesis. Sadly I don't play my Saturn a whole lot because I have only few games and well they are kinda hard to come by especially price wise. It seems like the dreamcast wanted to just be ahead of everyone else and win haha. Kinda hard to explain but I am sure some of you know what I mean. Its thinking.