Chickaroo Reviews - Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)

Post by chickaroo1 »

Move over Mario, there’s a new mascot in town! And boy does he have attitude. He’s cool, he’s speedy, he’s the one and only - Sonic the Hedgehog!Game: Sonic the Hedgehog
Systems: Sega Genesis, and a lot of other systems
Release Dates: Genesis: 6/23/91 (NA + EU). 7/26/91 (JP)
Developers: Sonic Team
What Kind of Freak Would Do That to Animals?
Story: Our villain of the day, Dr. Robotnik, wants to collect all seven Chaos Emeralds and to do so, he traps all the animals in robots. Have no fear, our hero, Sonic the Hedgehog is here to save the day and collect the Chaos Emeralds!
High Speed Action!
Gameplay: The game is a side scrolling platform (a lot of games were at the time). But for a Genesis game, this was really fast! Sonic can do all the basics: run left and right, jump, and can run really fast. The goal of every stage is to just get to the end of the stage and flip the Robotnik sign and move on to the next stage.
So you know how Mario collects coins? Sonic collects rings. Rings are pretty much your health as well. If you have one or more rings and get hit, you’ll lose them, but you won’t die. If you don’t have a ring and get hit, you will lose a life. As long as you have one ring on you, you’re good to go.
There are other things to collect as you speed through levels. There are little TV’s that have power-ups or rings or shields. The shield power-up puts a big green bubble around you and will protect you from losing your rings. If you get hit, you won’t lose your rings, but the shield will go away. There’s even a power-up that lets you be invincible or a short amount of time and make you really fast. If you have over 50 rings on you as you finish an act, you will see a big ring as you hit the sign. Jump in it and you will be transported to a bonus stage. Here in the bonus stage, you can earn a Chaos Emerald. How it works is that Sonic is rolled into a ball and you have to move him and hit these emeralds that are surrounding the Chaos Emerald. This is pretty hard in my opinion as there are ways to accidentally exit the level. There are little balls that say “GO” and if you hit one, you will be transported to the next level.
There are 3 acts to each zone. The 3rd act is the boss battle. Dr. Robotnik always has some machine that he tries to kill you with. Just jump on him as many times until his machine breaks and he leaves. Once he leaves, he leaves a big machine thingy that once you jump on the switch, it releases all the animals and you are off to the next world.
Still As Good as Always
Graphics: This is one of the most well known games during the 16-bit era. And boy does it show! This game is really colorful and beautiful. All the environments look really nice. Even Sonic’s model looks nice as well. Just everything looks really nice.
The Iconic Music
Music: Question: Who doesn’t know any song from this game? This soundtrack is very iconic. Almost anyone has heard the Green Hill Zone theme. Or at least the opening tune. It’s a great soundtrack that has snuck its way to becoming very iconic and still loved to this day.
Music is composed by Masato Nakamura.
The Best Game From the 16-Bit Era?
Overall: Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the most important games from this era. Mario now has a rival. SEGA was now becoming a big part of the Console War. This game sold millions all over the globe. Sonic is now a famous icon for both SEGA and video gaming in general.
The game is great. It’s fun and maybe addicting. It’s colorful and fun for all ages. You can get this game on so many consoles (even your smartphone). So pick up Sonic today and experience video gaming history.
4 / 5
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Mega Drive*
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Kaito-kun wrote:Mega Drive*
I know you're probably joking around but this her review. Let her use the name she knows of better.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Post by chickaroo1 »

Kaito-kun wrote:Mega Drive*
Haha dude I'm American, and here in Americaland it's called a Genesis. I know in other planets its called a Mega Drive.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

This is a Mega Drive.

It is a game console released by SEGA in the early 90's.

This is Genesis.

They were a rock band in the 70's.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Kaito, they are taking you seriously. Please stop it
Ace_Croft
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Ace_Croft »

Kaito-kun wrote:This is a Mega Drive.

It is a game console released by SEGA in the early 90's.

This is Genesis.

They were a rock band in the 70's.
I Love this haha.

May I say that review scores seem a little redundant here. I feel no need for them at all in my opinion.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Guys this is Kaito-branded humor and you're falling for it.

Anyway...before looking into this thread I though she was going to review Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, that honest-to-crappy port on the GBA.

Hmm...well Kaito is technically right. That IS a Mega Drive. And this IS a Genesis.

Atrias
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Atrias »

The game that started it all! (Though for me, that was technically Sonic 2 on the Master System) I'll still crack this out on the 360 Mega Drive / Genesis Collection for some classic fun with friends - along with the fact that its one of a few games my nan can play since I taught her when I was 6!

Nice review Chickaroo, always great to see some love for my favourite blue hedgehog!

Oh and Kaito, the Genesis joke has put a smile on my face for the rest of the day! :P
Faster than the speed of sound, sneaker wearing, chilli dog eating hedgehog with a penchant for industrial scale vandalism, animal activism and jewellery theft. Seems legit.

Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Yeah by the title, I thought this was going to be the review of the GBA port. Thank god not lol.