Game Review - Remember Me

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Game Review - Remember Me

Post by kadosho »

Remember Me (PS3, 360, and PC)
Developer: DONTNOD Entertainment SARL
Publisher: Capcom

Welcome to the future -
Your memories are an archive that keep the will of the people, and wishes alive beyond time. But is time really being locked away? In RMe, the game is a tale about a "what if" scenario where memories become keepsakes in another persons body, and soul. Losing sense of who they are, because some power over them says so. Until the character you embody, winds up defying all odds, and getting her identity back. Its a race against time, versus others that may not want you to find the truth.

*Scenario sound familiar?
Some of the team that worked on this title were also part of the Beyond Good & Evil dev team. (and some from PN03) A collab project that mixed current gen graphics with unique storytelling. A bit of "Logans Run" mixed with MGS asthetics, and open world design.

Sound Design -
This is a rare title that utilizes music as its motivation sequence. Different parts of the game are eschewed by your actions / playing style. Certain moods shift the variation within the environment. I would call it atmospheric dubstep, something close to Metroid's sound design, where the in-game world felt so alive, the music was its own character.

Level Design -
From a lab underground, to a lost city and beyond, Nillin wanders the unknown with aid from allies. And of course a few run-ins with unfriendly characters. However, there is both light and dark archetypes that reshape the world wanting to keep you away, guarded at all times. Its a very interesting design choice, something similar to Resident Evil + Devil May Cry.

Protect Thyself -
Lost and confused, Nillin needs your help to stay alive. Oddly enough, she is not a normal human being. fast, agile, strong willed, and brave. It takes all she has, and your control to aid her quest. In fact, having to dish out kicks and punches, it levels with Shenmue precision (and some techniques reward you with XP + added health). **Onimusha also had this key design element, but it takes some mastery to fully utilize the fighter within.

Overall, this game is a hidden gem. On one side, it was said to be the spiritual sequel to PN03 (only with the cybersuit) but wait this game has even more hidden cues from classics throughout. I would venture to say that this game is a title worth owning, but take the time to explore and enjoy it.