Sonic Franchise-Sales of the games (2010-onwards) 2015 Edition

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Nirmugen
Level 1
Level 1

Sonic Franchise-Sales of the games (2010-onwards) 2015 Edition

Post by Nirmugen »

I post this thread in another forum and people seems to like it and start to discuss about that, so I decided to translate all the things that I write in Spanish and post it here.

Well, let's start with a simple question: ¿How much Sonic games sold? From this point we can assume if they are profitable or this franchise is in a low every year.

With the sorrunding informating around Steam sales, the overall perfomance in volumes of units of packaged games in consoles and the state of the IP relevance, I maded a research with this simple conditions:

-Games from 2010-onwards only.
-Counting Packaged games, Pay2Play and Free2Play.
-Certain games will be compared in a special way.
-All the games from that period are included except digital console ones and Sonic 4 Ep I&II (minus PC) because they were removed from mobile stores and we don't have much information about consoles digital sales although we have "perfomance" but that's for another topic.
-This is not, and I repeat, this is NOT 100% ACCURATE. They are all aproximations.

Finally, a last important point: I'm not post this info for profitability or revenue discussion about Sonic, this is about how much people/units buy those games until today and how much people are willing to play a Sonic game overall in an specific way.

Sources:
-Financial Reports
-Annual Reports
-Press Releases.
-iTunes/Google Play.
-ArsTechnica
-SteamSpy
-VGChartz
(NB: Because this site got some infamous reputation, the info that they put will be revised with this constant: -/+ 17% of the total)

Well, let's begin:

Overall Sales from 1st January 2010 to 13th May 2015:

Packaged games----------------------------------------------------------------------Best Selling Version

-Sonic & Sega All Start Racing (Multi): 4.1 Million------------------------------------1.4 million (Wii)

-Sonic Colors (Wii, DS): 3 Million--------------------------------------------------------1.6 million (Wii)

-Sonic Generations (Multi): 4.3 Million--------------------------------------------------1.5 million (PS3)

-Sonic & ASRT (Multi): 2.8 Million------------------------------------------------------0.63 million (PC)

-Sonic Lost World (WiiU, 3DS): 0.9 Million----------------------------------------------0.5 million (3DS)

-Sonic Boom (WiiU,3DS): 0.62 millon--------------------------------------------------0.38 million(WiiU)

-Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Wii,3DS): 4.9 Million----------3.7 million (Wii)

-Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (WiiU): 0.6 Million

-Sonic Free Riders (Kinect): 1.1 Million

Digital Games

-Sonic Jump: 10 Million Downloads
-Sonic & Sega ASR Mobile Version: 17 Million Downloads

-Sonic CD (mobile sales): 1.4 Million Downloads

-Sonic Dash: 100 Million Downloads (aprox.)

-Sonic 1 (mobile sales): 1 Million Downloads

-Sonic 2 (mobile sales): 1.2 Million Downloads

-Sonic ASRT Mobile Version: 15.5 Million Downloads

-Sonic Jump Fever: 30 Million Downloads

-Sonic Runners (Canada and Japan): 0.7 Million Downloads (19/03/15)

Overall performance in mobile phones (F2P): 143.5 Million Downloads

Special: Sales on PC:

-Sonic & SASR: 0.13 Million

-Sonic Adventure DX: 0.39 Million

-Sonic Generations: 0.56 Million

-Sonic 4 Episode I : 0.14 Million

-Sonic CD: 0.15 Million

-Sonic 4 Episode II: 0.13 Million

-Sonic Adventure 2 : 0.25 Million

-Sonic ASRT: 0.63 Million
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Looks like Sonic CD sold pretty well, that's not f2p right?
Tic Tac, sir?
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I'm kinda surprised the mobile Sonic and SEGA racing games sold that well, compared to the other mobile titles that's not Sonic 1, 2 or CD.

Wasn't both episodes of Sonic 4 released on mobile in that time frame as well?
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

If these numbers are even slightly close to the correct figures, I think it's pretty obvious the shift in focus SEGA's making towards Mobile and PC. Even if you don't like it (I sure as hell don't), you can understand the reasoning behind it.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

As far as Sonic games on PC is concerned I don't know, they don't scream 'wow' to me. At the same time I'm not surprised Generations and ASRT sold the most out of that list.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

With Generations PC being modded left, right and center, no wonder it has such a number like that.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

The research behind this is interesting. I can understand the % really reflects on why SEGA is going a different direction with all of their future titles. Really bummed that console gaming with the company might be going the "way of the dodo" with the publisher. It doesn't seem right, especially with a lot of developers crossing over into familiar territory many of us gamers would dare to dream about. I sincerely hope that SEGA changes its mind come E3, and surprises everyone.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

You also gotta love how big the difference of sales is between the first Mario & Sonic Olympics and the second one. Just shows that people stopped giving a shit after the first one and that it's kinda pointless to make any more. I'm sure Nintendo and SEGA have learned that by no- OH LOOK A NEW M&S OLYMPICS GAME.
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

With the Mario & Sonic games, you do have to understand that the Winter Olympics titles will always sell poorly because nobody cares for them as much as they do the Summer Games.

If you compared the sales for Beijing 2008 and Vancouver 2010, you'd see something very similar happened there, as well. It's also worth noting that Sochi 2014 launched on only the one console with little to no advertising anywhere, and was based on a Winter Games that was taking place in a country nobody wanted to support at the time. Small wonder the Rio 2016 edition is coming out on 3DS again.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Gavvie wrote:With the Mario & Sonic games, you do have to understand that the Winter Olympics titles will always sell poorly because nobody cares for them as much as they do the Summer Games.

If you compared the sales for Beijing 2008 and Vancouver 2010, you'd see something very similar happened there, as well. It's also worth noting that Sochi 2014 launched on only the one console with little to no advertising anywhere, and was based on a Winter Games that was taking place in a country nobody wanted to support at the time. Small wonder the Rio 2016 edition is coming out on 3DS again.
I agree here; in reality, the Summer Olympics are widely favorable over the Winter Olympics so in terms of the Mario & Sonic Olympics titles, the former (M&S Beijing '08, London '12) are more likely to get higher sales than the latter (Sochi '14).
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010