Chickaroo Reviews - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

Post by chickaroo1 »

A game that broke edge in the 16-bit era and redefined it. And who knew a ape could do it all by himself?Game: Donkey Kong Country
Systems: SNES, GBC, GBA, Wii VC, Wii U VC
Release Dates: SNES: 11/21/94 (NA), 11/24/94 (EU), 11/26/94 (JP)
GBC: 11/4/00 (NA), 11/17/00 (EU), 1/21/01 (JP)
GBA: 6/6/03 (EU),
Wii VC: 12/7/06 (AUS), 12/8/06 (EU), 12/12/06 (JP), 2/19/07 (NA)
Wii U VC: 10/16/14 (PAL), 11/26/14 (JP), 2/26/15 (NA)
Developers: Rare
Not the Bananas!
Story: So the story (I guess) is that King K. Rool stole all of Donkey Kong's bananas! How dare him. So now he and his sidekick, Diddy Kong are out to get his bananas back and defeat King K. Rool and recover their delicious treats!
Gets My Blood Going
Gameplay: The game plays out like a 2D side scrolling game. And it does really. You play as both Donkey and Diddy Kong. You play as one of them while the other kind of counts as an extra hit. So yes, this game has one-hit kills if you do not have the other with you nor an other animal friend. And boy oh boy this game has a strong difficulty. I mean there are some levels that just can give you heart attacks and anxieties. I had them during the game.
The goal in every level is just to get to the end. And yes this can get pretty damn hard like, holy hell. Now there are plenty of collectibles in this game as well (what would a platformer be without platfo- I mean, collectibles)? Bananas are the coins / rings of this game. Collect 100 of them and get a life. Balloons are the lives. In certain levels, you can collect up to 3 golden medals that represent a certain animal. Collect all 3 and you will be taken to a bonus room where you can run rampant and gain extra lives. Trust me, you’re going to need them.
Other than that, this game can be be pretty fun, just pretty damn difficult at times.
3D on a 2D Console??
Graphics: The graphics are the more impressive part of the game that people remember. And there’s a reason why - it’s a very good looking game for the SNES. The models are rendered in 3D almost and they look fantastic. This was a very revolutionary game for it’s time. And it still looks great to this day.
Jungle Swing
Music: This soundtrack is amazing as well! It’s very exotic sounding and downright catchy as hell. From its swing-styled music, to its beautiful and calm sounds of the ocean. It’s one hell of a good soundtrack.
Music is composed by David Wise, Eveline Fischer, and Robin Beanland.
King of the Jungle, Am I Right?
Overall: Donkey Kong Country is an amazing game. From its graphics to its gameplay and hard-as-hell difficulty. It’s a classic and still is to this day. It’s pretty fun to play, but be warned about how hard it can get. Other than that, a great SNES game.
4 / 5
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

I remember playing DKC on a kiosk in Sears sometime ago. I remember a group of people taking turns just to beat a level. (oddly enough the store manager teased, that they might give a free copy away) I dunno if any of us made it through that challenge. The difficulty was insanely high, but totally worth revisiting. Even with the new stuff out there. ^_^