2016: 25th Anniversary of the Blue Blur. Rumored Sonic game?

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

2016: 25th Anniversary of the Blue Blur. Rumored Sonic game?

Post by Quills on Wheels »

So next year is the 25th anniversary of Sonic. Now he's been doing pretty badly recently with the last "Acceptable" game thought by the majority of the fan base being Sonic Generations (Which was the 20th anniversary game. Jesus it's been nearly 5 years!)
So what are people's thoughts on 2016 and Sonic's 25th anniversary game? Honestly, Personally, I think the 25th anniversary will either make or break the franchise. The recent downfalls have been huge and Boom can be considered just as bad, if not worse, than Sonic 06 (At least that game had decent music but Boom has no redeeming quality).

Furthermore, unlike the Sonic 06 days, the franchise has gone through some major changes in the past few years with, going back to less story orientated games and changing things around like voice actors and whatnot. Even the comics have gone through re-designs with characters getting new looks and stuff. It's like the Sonic from 10 years ago is no longer the same sonic. Most of didn't grow up with this Sonic and are drastically moving away from it. Same for me. As "The Biggest Sonic Fan" (remember that? HAH!), I grew up with the Adventure titles as well as the other crappy titles before Colours but even though those games were crap, the attempt to create an intriguing story was all that was needed to make the 12 year old me fall in love. Now though it's no longer the case, as ever since Colours, we've seen less attempt at a well thought out plot and dialogue and more focus towards gameplay and a child-orientation and while I'm not saying that's necessarily bad, it's no longer the Sonic I grew up with and thus have moved away.

So in other words, this franchise needs a new fanbase with its new orientation and depending on whether the next couple of Sonic games are good or not, we can see Sonic either staying in business or continue to be the relic of the past he is but die altogether like Crash Bandicoot or something.

---------------------------

On a seemingly related topic, I'm hoping some of you might have heard the rumors floating around about a new Sonic game. The voice actor of Orbot wrote "Sonic Mach2" in his German website and apparently the voice actor of Rouge the Bat has also put "Sonic II" in her Resume. Now bare in mind, there is no confirmation over a new Sonic game but if we were to consider these, would this mean a new Sonic game is on the way around late 2015 to 2016 and it will feature Orbot and/or Rouge the bat. And since Rouge is there, other characters too?

Another Sonic Generations perhaps? Or Some people are even saying Sonic 06 sequel hahaha.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Well, seeing how mixed the reception was for Lost World (which I still believe had nice ideas in theory, it's just the execution with all these different gimmicks and level design were either hit or miss or just plain bleh) to Rise of Lyric's...awfulness, I'm pretty sure Sonic Team are taking in how sh*tty the last two years the games have been.

I pray for a S.T. game that I can personally enjoy, and especially since it's pretty known/rumored both Sonic Team A & B are working on this.

It doesn't help that ANOTHER Boom game has been announced.

I think the one things I'm willing is to give Sanzaru a little benefit of the doubt and see if they really do make a sequel that is better than their previous attempt, especially after a couple of interviews they've done (like The SEGA Lounge one?)
Personally, while Shattered Crystal was annoyingly mediocre it's by far the lesser of the two evils between the first two Boom games. At least they have worked on a few titles in the past, compared to Big Red Button, and look how that turned out.

So while I'm still not on board with another Boom game after the initial games' output and can't fathom why SEGA decided to make another Boom game a year later (unless it had something to do with the success that show is getting, but eeeeehhh) all I can say is that it's 3DS only and Sanzaru is 'hopefully' improving on Shattered Crystal's faults? I don't know.

Like last year I'm not hyped for this at all, but meeeeeeeeeh I wanna see if Sanzaru will really take the feedback and criticisms into account. If not, well SEGA (again) probably learned nothing. If it turns out slightly better than SC, I'll give Sanzaru some props and that's it. Still don't think another game should have been made (at least not this year, idk)
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

Being a longtime fan teaches you patience. Sonic Boom was meant for a different audience. I think the series can make a comeback. Runners, although a mobile game is a fun concept. But its true we need a yummy chili dog for consoles.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Also, the LAST thing this franchise needs is a splintering of another fan base. The many there are now is bad enough.

There's a very good (if not a bit long but it's very good in getting the point across imo) video series called Shay Says I believe, where he analyzes the series based on his observations. He makes a lot of sense and can pinpoint the underlying problem with the franchise better than anyone I heard. Of course it's YMMV because opinions, but look it up on YouTube if you ever have the time.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Is this a general thread for the 25th Anniversary? If so...

SEGA's getting set for The Silver Anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog (no pun intended XP). But where was this logo spotted with?

Source: The Sonic Stadium - Sonic 25th Anniversary Logo Spotted At Vegas Licensing Expo!
Attachments
25thanniversarylogo.jpg
25thanniversarylogo.jpg (13.83 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

You mean 25th, brother.

Cannot wait for the needless in-depth discussion and over-analyzing of the logo heading into 2016 though.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Well at the very lease we know Sega is preparing for the 25th anniversary. What they're planning for it though will be a mystery for now.
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

I am curious though if Sonic Team altogether wants to reboot the franchise. Seeing the mild reception Boom altogether has obtained. Or maybe a whole new adventure with the gang (including voice actors) since Gen. I have to admit, I feel attached to those voice actors moreso than ever before. Its just a fun bunch that brings surreal characters to life. Just wish that Sega would allow Sonic Team to keep this awesome crew, and make a fun game again.
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

I can't wait to see what all SEGA brings out with Sonic 25th Anniversary. It's going to be awesome! Maybe they'll return to the original Sonic
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Well it's been three years since Sonic Team actually worked on a home console game...I don't know I think they may actually put some effort worthwhile into next year's title.

I'm going to laugh if it really is Sonic Adventure 3....imagine that.