Early Access - Yay or nay?

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Early Access - Yay or nay?

Post by Quills on Wheels »

So I'm assuming that everyone is aware of the current infamous Steam Summer Sale happening right now. For the past few days that passed by, other than buying a few games here and there (Oddworld and Sir you are being Hunted), I noticed something else.
I mean I already knew this but looking at all the games on the sale, I fully came to the realization of just how many "Early access" games there are out now. Practically every game that gets hyped seems to now come out in some form of Alpha version and fans rush in with their fists full of money, throwing all they have at devs so they can play their unfinished game. So where am I going with this?

One thing I've noticed with early access games is just HOW LONG it takes for some of them to be finished. (That's IF they ever get finished.) I mean look at games like Starbound and DayZ standalone. Both were highly anticipated and hyped and both came out on December 2013. Yet here we are, June of 2015 and these games are STILL in early access. Some of these games like Starbound completely missed their supposed "release date" and continue to move at snail pace or have just stopped completely. The devs have no motivation. Fans have already given them the money and everyone's bought the game so why should they bother finishing the game?

And this is becoming more and more of a trend. Thankfully I don't own any Early Access games myself but it's still annoying. I like to buy complete games but because of this, I'll probably never get to buy a full Starbound game. I may never see a full DayZ get released so I can play that as well and I can see other early access games in my wishlist like The Forest or Stranded Deep following this. Basically, I'm really against Early Access games because it encourages this behavior. Devs abuse this and get money for their unfinished games and once enough profit is made, they practically abandon their project. Sure they say EA is good because it allows devs to create the games with fan input but this is slowly becoming less and less the case.

So what about yous? Early Access good or no?