Shenmue 3

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Mr. Domino
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mr. Domino »

Oh, I know that, but a lot of people jumping onto the bandwagon early weren't aware. You see this in all the complaints on-line from backers following the "news." Yeah, it's their own fault for not understanding how long the series was slated to be, but regardless, you don't emphasize any perceived potential drawbacks when you're looking to drum up money for your project.

I swear it was originally stated to be seven games which was easily believed given how slow the first one is. Perhaps some backers thought Suzuki was aiming to finish the game here, filling in some chapters with a digital comic. While I wouldn't go so far to suggest that Ys should intentionally mislead people, there's a difference in PR between asking for money for "the long awaited third chapter" and funding "the middle of a story with at least two more games to bankroll after this one's in the can."
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Well, one factor that can change the 'seven games' into what may be done now is simply because times have changes. Especially so in the video game industry. What Suzuki envisioned to be a seven-game 'epic' had to trimmed of its fat in order to still make his vision plausible.

Isn't Shenmue 3 supposed to now (or always has been, anyone can correct me on that) contain a number of chapters to the story? Like 3-4?