Shenmue 3

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Bubblegumspit
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bubblegumspit »

TheChaosBlue wrote:It also has a Guinness World Record.
Oh yeah! I forgot about that! ^_^
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

There's a Reddit AMA happening tomorrow (Friday) with Yu Suzuki; although we don't know when or where on Reddit it'll happen. EDIT: Confirmed to be happening from 12:30pm EDT/ 9:30am PST/ 5:30pm BST. In addition, a former Metal Gear Solid 4 producer was supposedly the guy who convinced Yu to give Kickstarter a shot.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Twinny
News Team
News Team

Post by Twinny »

Bump.

Firstly, bullet point recap of Yu's Reddit AMA via SEGAbits (under spoil tags below, it's pretty damn long):
Click to reveal
Secondly, Yu addresses the controversy surrounding the Kickstarter. Why people are saying Sony is co-funding development and that all the peoples' funding are going to naught is just absurd. And I'm saying this not as not much of a Shenmue fan either.
There have been many questions concerning Shenmue 3’s budget and what outside sources will be added to the money collected through Kickstarter. I apologize for not having been more forthright in this area and would like to take this opportunity to help clarify the situation.

Ys Net and I have been putting in many long years trying to find a way to bring back a sequel that so many fans have waited so long for. After learning of Kickstarter, I knew it would be possible to get Shenmue 3 started. Wanting to make the best game possible, I also knew that I would have to look to more traditional means to obtain all the funds that would be needed to create the game I had envisioned.

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The outpouring of support from all of you, the backers, has been so inspirational. I cannot thank you enough. Having reached our funding goal, I am excited to say that the Shenmue story will go on, and our journey with Ryo and Shenhua will continue. Fans will be able to enjoy the sequel they have waited so long for, and newcomers to the series will be introduced to a unique gaming experience.

Of course, like with any Kickstarter, additional funding will only help us make a better game. On top of everything Shenmue 3 will already bring, the Stretch Goals that I have laid out will add extra quests, events, and new gameplay systems that will make the game even more immersive and take the series to the next level. At the $5 million mark, there will be an all new gameplay feature I would be excited to be able to add to the Shenmue legacy. If we should make the $10 million Stretch Goal, a much larger, completely open world will be yours to explore.

Even if these Stretch Goals are not reached, Shenmue 3 will already be a sequel true to its name, and one we can all be proud of. It is my hope though, that together we can make this Shenmue just as revolutionary as the first two were.

I understand this statement may by late in coming. Going forward, we wish to be as open as possible concerning the game’s development. I would like to again ask for your cooperation and support in helping make Shenmue 3 the best that it can be.

Sincerely, Yu Suzuki

kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

I am humbled by what was accomplished. Cannot wait to see more news.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

So apparently the Q&A wasn't that great?
Twinny
News Team
News Team

Post by Twinny »

TheChaosBlue wrote:So apparently the Q&A wasn't that great?
The presentation is what was the problem. Sound quality wasn't good at all (one table mic and it was far away from Yu and the others looked like) and the guy on the right looked like he was out of it for much of the stream. Not sure if it was of too much Fanta or something else.

Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

I love Fanta XD

Anywho, I'm a little disappointed that the whole Sony issue has slowed funding down on this - it's like people were very excited to back this, and then went "wait, hang on..." for no real reason. Because of that, it's lost all steam, and any Stretch Goals over the $4-5m mark look like nothing more than pipedreams.

It's a real shame, because if it had kept on at its original pace over the first 4 or 5 days, it'd have got to $11m or more quite easily.
Twinny
News Team
News Team

Post by Twinny »

The Sony situation put a damper on progress for sure. All those sites and people saying that the game's funding is shoddy due to its involvement clearly wanted to point the faults with that right out of the gate.

sailorneorune
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sailorneorune »

It's too soon to get discouraged (I feel like I'm repeating myself from the ToeJam & Earl 4 KS... because I am :lol: ). Kickstarters often chug along slowly after the first week. It should pick up again (successful ones often do), and we could see some major action during the last week or so of the campaign.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Gaming publications' misinterpretation of the facts really hurt the whole process.