Chickaroo Reviews - Hi-Hi Puffy AmiYumi: Kaznapped! (GBA)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Hi-Hi Puffy AmiYumi: Kaznapped! (GBA)

Post by chickaroo1 »

A show from my childhood that ended too soon! But is the game as great as the show was? Or does it suffer?Game: Hi-Hi Puffy Ami Yumi: Kaznapped!
Systems: Game Boy Advance
Release Dates: 12/22/05 (JP), 11/22/05 (NA), 6/28/06 (EU)
Developers: Altron
Not The Manager!
Story: Ami and Yumi had just gotten off their world tour and are tired as hell from it. Their manager, Kaz, asks them why they aren’t recording new songs. Out of nowhere, a little girl named Harmony (who claims to be Puffy AmiYumi number one fan), shows up in the room and asks the girls to play her a concert. They tell her no, and she then hypnotizes Kaz and kidnaps him! Now it’s up to Ami and Yumi to save him.
Let’s Rock This Game!
Gameplay: As per usual, the game is a platformer. You get to play as both Ami and Yumi back and forth in levels. They each have different abilities. Ami can double jump and swing from platform to platformer. Yumi can smash through blocks as well as push and pull them around. There’s a meter underneath the other character’s switch meter, when pressing the two shoulder buttons, Ami and Yumi use their instruments to rock out and wipe out the entire room of enemies. Every goal in every level is to just get to the end.
As for bosses, the girls’ tour bus turns into an airplane of sorts and it becomes a shooter. You get to shoot up enemies as well as the boss.
You can replay levels and collect stuff just as any other platformer.
Just Like the Cute Show
Graphics: The game does look like the show itself, no complaints there. The sprite models are pretty good and colorful as ever. It’s a pretty cute looking game. Well, so was the show.
Catchy, But a Little Dull
Music: The music is alright. It’s just okay, not super memorable either. Though I can remember some of it due to how much I played it as a kid.
Music is composed by Tomoyoshi Sato.
Another Great Forgotten Game/Show?
Overall: Kaznapped is a pretty good game and can get difficult at times. It borrows a lot from the show, which is always a great thing. I’d say give this game a try if you want to relive the era of good-but-forgotten cartoons era.
4 / 5
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

I remember this show. It was wacky but fun. Its neat when some try as a platforming game.
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

I loved watching Hi-Hi Puffy AmiYumi! I agree that it ended too soon DX They should bring it back (the original series. Not a remake)