Chickaroo Reviews - Tomodachi Life (3DS)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Tomodachi Life (3DS)

Post by chickaroo1 »

A weird game straight from the island of Japan! This one is weird, quirky and a lot of fun, if you have a lot to do in it.Game: Tomodachi Life
Systems: Nintendo 3DS
Release Dates: 4/18/13 (JP), 6/6/14 (NA + EU), 6/7/14 (AUS)
Developers: Nintendo SPD
I Am God, And I Rule Over You (Kind of)
Gameplay: This game has been compared to other simulator-type games such as The Sims. And kind of thinking about it, it’s similar.
How the game is set up though is a little different. You start off with an island and are asked to make a mii based off of you. After doing this, the other mii’s will call you their look-a-like. You can make up to 100 miis in the apartments. The more miis you make, the more you unlock. You can unlock a clothing store, grocery store, hat store, amusement park, cafe, and much more.
Taking care of miis however, is a different story. Miis can pretty much think on their own, to a degree. You pretty much guide them around when they ask questions, such as being friends with another mii or falling in love with them. They rely on you. You have to feed them, give them clothes, do anything that will make them happy. They can get unhappy sometimes too, like if they get rejected by someone or get in a fight with one of their friends or maybe they get sick. So all in all, you just take care of them, you can’t really control them.
Events can happen too in the game - but it depends on what time it is though. The game is in real time, similar to the likes of Animal Crossing. So for example, from 9 am til noon, you can go to the fountain to go to the morning market and buy whatever is being sold. Or for rap battles between 6 and 7 pm. If you miss those events, you’ll have to wait for the next day during that time. The game is pretty fun if you have a lot of miis in their island, because it’ll give you something to do. If you don’t have a lot of miis, the game can be boring since it involves a lot of waiting.
Weird and Strange, But Cool
Graphics: Graphically speaking, the game looks alright. I mean, You mostly see the miis, and everyone knows what miis look like. As for items you can use, they are all photo-realistic. Same with some environment backgrounds. Which is what gives the game it's little quirk.
Getting A Little Old Now
Music: The music can be catchy, but after playing this game a lot, it will get old on you. Trust me. But honestly, the music isn’t really something you’ll want to listen to outside the game.
Music is composed by Daisuke Matsuoka and Asuka Ito.
The Next Sims?
Overall: Tomodachi Life can be a fun game, yeah, but it can get a little bit boring if you don’t have a lot to do. It really is best recommended to add a bunch of miis in and let them mingle and stir up trouble. The game is still fun, don’t get me wrong. But sometimes, it can get old.
3 / 5