Nintendo's Satoru Iwata Passes Away at Age 55

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Nintendo's Satoru Iwata Passes Away at Age 55

Post by Twinny »

A couple hours ago from the time of this thread going up, Nintendo and the gaming industry lost such a great man. A man who wanted people to have fun playing video games. That man was Satoru Iwata. Nintendo of Japan sent of an official press document signifying his untimely passing.

Here's the document, translated by Nintendo itself. Shigeru Miyamoto & Genyo Takeda have been named joint interim President until a permanent replacement is announced.

The gaming world lost a significant figure. He was battling health problems and ultimately lost the fight. Iwata's passing is bringing back the moment when Dusty Rhodes and Robin Williams both passed away; just came outta freaking nowhere.

Sucks that he last moments included him apologizing to irate and disrespectful people...damn.

R.I.P. Iwata
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Wow. I can't believe this. This is one of those rare moments I actually started to feel tears being shed.

This is LITERALLY one of those "Didn't think will ACTUALLY happen, but it did" moments. I'm...I'm shocked. At only 55 years of age he time on this Earth has come and gone. To see my Twitter blowing up about this, saying how Iwata meant more than just the President of Nintendo and more like one of your family members...I can agree. This is a real blow to many fans, Nintendo and the general gaming market alike. For real this legitimately came out of left field.

This is not just a dark day for Nintendo. Nonono...his is a dark day for the entire video game industry & its history. I honestly never seen someone of his position put in so much time and effort; so much blood, sweat and tears into turning a company around. To me that showed just how much Iwata cared about this industry and the company he worked for. To think his story is one that many in the industry couldn't achieve. From a programmer at HAL Laboratories to CEO and President. Years of hard work he gave to The Nig N. He was even willing to cut his pay in half because this is how much he cared about the company. He sacrificed hours & hours to make Nintendo as best as he could to the point of illness. Despite that you can still feel his influence throughout the Nintendo Directs he couldn't be apart of, the events he couldn't make it too (which makes this year's E3 even sadder in hindsight). He does leave a brilliant legacy, one not many can get.. Iwata was..no IS a PILLAR to modern-day Nintendo, and it came crashing down. He had a passion for this business that not many can replicate.

I hope personally very next Nintendo Direct shouldn't be about the upcoming titles or whatever. Rather it should be for him; his legacy to the company he gave his heart and soul for. I do wonder without him how Nintendo would have functioned to this day. I hope Nintendo World does something to remember Iwata's passing.

I really feel bad for Masahiro Sakurai; those two were close when they were part of HAL; and today they lost one brilliant mind.

I hope for those on here, play whatever Nintendo console you own. This may sound cheesy but I don't care; play those games for him, because that's what he would love to hear; people around the world playing the games he wants the public to enjoy. In fact; he helped create on the best games I ever played. Pokemon Gold and Silver. So I want to personally thank Satoru Iwata for that. Fans of Super Smash Bros, Earthbound, Kirby, Mario it doesn't matter.

On a closing note, I do want to say he left us with Super Mario Maker; so we can create our own levels and make our inner game designer dreams come true, like Iwata did. So with that...I'll leave this:

Satoru Iwata: A Corporate President on the outside, a Game Developer on the mind, but a pure Gamer in his heart. We Finally Understood. Thank You for what you gave to us, not just as Nintendo fans, but to video games as a whole. RIP.
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

Most of my childhood was Nintendo related games such as LoZ Minish Cap, my all time favorite childhood game, and Pokemon games. This is terrible that the brilliant head of it all has left us. May he find peace in the after life.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

You know... We gamers are so different from one another. We play different things ON different platforms, having different genres and cultures, thus we all have such different opinion that it's rare to see everyone agree on one thing. But I think it's pretty safe to say that it didn't matter whether you were a PC gamer or Console gamer, Single player or Multiplayer, hard core or casual, when the news about Satora Iwata came, the whole gaming community mourned for his death. I've never seen the tears of a community so clearly shed as this time where tributes were made left and right, famous youtubers commenting here and there etc. Even Sega acknowledged the death of Iwata. It feels really sad.

I can't say he was my childhood as I barely played Nintendo games as a kid or growing up but there's no denying the respect I have for the love of this man and Nintendo as a company for Videogames. I feel you ChaosBlue. I've been close to tearing up honestly. He wasn't related to any of us, but he felt like Family.

In the end, if there was any time where Ninten-did, it was thanks to Satora Iwata. Rest in Peace.
sailorneorune
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sailorneorune »

When I read the news of Satoru Iwata's passing last Sunday evening, I cried... a lot. When I read that his diligence helped make the 2nd generation of Pokémon games a grand adventure, clocking in well over 300 hours for me between Silver, Crystal and SoulSilver, I cried some more. After talking about it well into the night with a friend from church, I knew exactly what I had to do. Over this past week, I've been devoting my spare time to planning my gaming group's next meetup, which will be dedicated to Mr. Iwata's legacy of amazing games. There is no doubt that he worked hard and poured his heart into the games he worked on. Though most of us have never met him, it always seemed like he was close.

His sincere, enthusiastic mannerisms were contagious, and made me want to root for Nintendo. Knowing I had a Nintendo Direct to look forward to would turn around a day that wasn't going well for me. Mr. Iwata was a very uplifting person, period.

Looking forward to seeing him live on through the people he inspired.

Thank you for everything. :sadgoodbye:
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

A recent video from Did You Know Gaming highlighted the good this man did for Nintendo and the video games industry as a whole:

[youtube]VUHi-vlACJI[/youtube]

Edit: I have no idea if the right video was posted there or not. The network here at work is a bit weird when it comes to YT vids, so I can't double check. Don't blame me if it's just a video of a man getting hit by a football.