Chickaroo Reviews - Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1)

Post by chickaroo1 »

Persona is back with 2 separate entries that consists of one game (kind of). This is the other half the west got. Is it another great PlayStation RPG?Game: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Systems: PlayStation, PSP, PlayStation Network
Release Dates: PS1: 6/29/00 (JP), 12/22/00 (NA)
PSP: 5/17/12 (JP)
PSN: 2/26/13 (NA)
Developers: Atlus
Why So Serious...Oops, Wrong Joker!
Story: Set after a few months of Persona 2: Innocent Sin in the town of Sumaru, a girl named Maya, who is a reporter for a teen magazine, is sent to investigate this strange phenomenon going on. The phenomenon goes like this: if someone calls their own phone number, this guy named the Joker will kill at request. When Maya goes to Seven Sisters with some of her friends, they discover that the school’s principal has been killed by the Joker, making the rumor almost true. But is it really? And now as Maya and friends awaken their personas, it’s up to them to find out who the Joker really is.
Oh The Days of Pre-Persona 3
Gameplay: So because this was before the wonderful Persona 3, the gameplay is pretty different. The social simulator part isn’t really there as much. You can explore places around the town and walk around places. Battles are random encounters. So every few steps, a battle starts. Battles are pretty different. Battles are a bit menued styled. You have to manually set up what character does what and who are they attacking. There are persona attacks and manual attacks. You can also use items in-battle too. And there are event items too, such as a lucky charm Maya carries, though I don’t think they do much. You can also fuse personas in the Velvet Room, located in some downtown areas.
Plain, But Unique
Graphics: The game is a pretty good looking game, being a late PS1 game. Some cutscenes are in 2D, which looks alright in some cases. The sprites in the game are pretty good, but they have no faces which is kinda spooky. But it does look good.
Mysterious and Spooky
Music: The music is actually pretty good. Some tracks are very catchy while some sounds kinda weird and creepy (which is pretty much the tone of the majority of the Persona series). But it’s a very good soundtrack.
Music is composed by Toshiko Tasaki, Kenichi Tsuchiya & Masaki Kurokawa.
A JRPG Worth Playing?
Overall: Eternal Punishment is an alright game. I’m a bit mixed about the battle system but it does work, so what am I to complain about? The music is good and the graphics are good either. As for starting the Persona series, I’d rather recommend Persona 3 or Persona 4. But hey, it is still a good game with a dark story.
3 / 5