Chickaroo Reviews - Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters (PS2)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters (PS2)

Post by chickaroo1 »

The first Ratchet & Clank game to NOT be made by Insomniac? Oh boy, will this next installment be good or totally forgettable?Game: Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters / Ratchet & Clank 5
Systems: PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2
Release Dates: PSP: 2/13/07 (NA), 5/11/07 (EU), 5/24/07 (AUS), 6/28/07 (JP)
PS2: 3/11/08 (NA), 3/27/08 (EU), 3/28/08 (AUS), 7/3/08 (JP)
Developers: High Impact Games
A Rather Wacky Situation
Story: Ratchet and Clank are on vacation after their various heroic adventures. While on their vacation, a little girl talks to them and asks them to help her do a school report on heroes. After a while, robots show up and kidnap the little girl (named Luna), and Ratchet and Clank head off after them to save her. Along the way, they meet up with Captain Qwark who is looking for his actual parents. And so they drag him along to help save Luna.
A Bite Sized Adventure
Gameplay: The gameplay is the same as the previous PS2 titles, now on a small screen (or still on a TV, which is what I’m playing). Ratchet can still do all the same things he could do: run, jump, glide with Clank, strafe and so on. There are of course, new weapons to choose from and purchase. There’s your typical gun and other kinds of weapons. There’s also a gadget that allows you to grow plants to use them to get through sections.
In terms of the PS2 version, the gameplay seems more stiff than ever. Granted this is a PSP game blown up on a bigger screen. But seriously, it does feel more stiff and the camera is zoomed in on Ratchet so it can be hard to see what is up ahead.
Oh yeah, and space combat is back! Some transitions from planet to planet involves Clank becoming giant Clank and battling it out in space, similar to Going Commando.
Honestly, this really is a typical PS2 game, just downsized for PSP and then resized for PS2 again (kind of).
Rather Similar, Though Not as Clean
Graphics: All the models from the previous games make a return, but for some reason, they don’t look as good here. They look blurry and so do the environments. This isn’t really a good looking game, though I’m sure it looked better on the PSP. The models are also rather still. Ratchet doesn’t have any idle animations, making him looking very still.
Still As Tuneful as Ever
Music: The music is still great though. It’s still very sci-fi sounding and awesome. It may not be as great as the other game’s soundtracks. But it’s still a pretty good soundtrack.
Music is composed by David Bergeaud.
A Tiny Game to Enjoy?
Overall: Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters is alright. In terms of the PS2 version, it’s rather clunky and a little frustration. Though I’ve heard the PSP version is way much better, since the game was meant to be on that system. I don’t recommend the PS2 version, try getting it on the PSP, I’m sure it’s better.
3 / 5
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

I have always heard about how much fun Ratchet and Clank was, but I have never played it. I really think I should.
Awinnerwasyou
News Team
News Team

Post by Awinnerwasyou »

Yeah, they're worth a blast. The HD port of the original trilogy should be dirt cheap by now, so that's the best place to start. I'd recommend the PS3 version over the Vita, though- I found the Vitas thumbsticks to be very fiddly in areas where you need presicion movement. Also, I heard the physical version has some nasty game crashing bugs in them, though the digital versions are fine from what I heard.
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

Which of the games is best in your opinion?
Awinnerwasyou wrote:Yeah, they're worth a blast. The HD port of the original trilogy should be dirt cheap by now, so that's the best place to start. I'd recommend the PS3 version over the Vita, though- I found the Vitas thumbsticks to be very fiddly in areas where you need presicion movement. Also, I heard the physical version has some nasty game crashing bugs in them, though the digital versions are fine from what I heard.
Awinnerwasyou
News Team
News Team

Post by Awinnerwasyou »

I'd say I enjoyed the second one the most, but then I've only really played the first level of R&C3, and have yet to play the later games. But yeah, my personal favourite was 2.