Chickaroo Reviews - Tomb Raider Chronicles (PS1)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Tomb Raider Chronicles (PS1)

Post by chickaroo1 »

Lara Croft may be gone, but her legacy lives on in one more game! But will this be her last breath before she croaks? Game: Tomb Raider Chronicles
Systems: PlayStation, Dreamcast, Windows, Mac OS
Release Dates: PS1: 11/??/00 (NA), 11/17/00 (EU), 5/31/01 (JP), 1/12/11 (PAL PSN)
DC: 11/19/00 (NA), 12/15/00 (EU)
Windows: 11/21/00 (NA), 11/24/00 (EU), 7/19/12 (GOG.com), 11/28/12 (Steam)
Mac OS: 10/??/01
Developers: Core Design
Four Stories at a Funeral
Story: So at the end of The Last Revelation, Lara Croft gets killed by a collapsing tomb. She is announced dead to the world. A memorial service is held days later. At the service some of her old friends get together and tell stories of Lara’s previous adventures. And this is where the game comes in to play.
Nothing’s Changed Now That She’s Gone
Gameplay: Do I really have to write this section? I mean, it’s the same as ever. And the game isn’t even that long. It’s 4 levels. Lara can still do all the same stuff she could always do. She has her guns, she can run, jump, crawl, flip, and oh wait, now, she can walk on a tightrope! Sweet right? Not really. It’s hard to balance her on it and sometimes the falls can be sudden death. And that’s never fun.
Level design wise, it’s not that great. It’s hard to tell where you need to go or what you got to do in order to progress. I couldn’t even get past the tutorial level because it never explained what to do after the tutorial was over. It’s very confusing and not fun at all. It’s getting very old and stale.
One Last Good Look at Her
Graphics: The game looks the same in terms of models. Lara looks the same as she looked in The Last Revelations. The environments are rather dark and hard to see where you’re going. And they’re not real pretty to look at either, which is just a gosh darn shame.
Music? More Like the Abyss
Music: There is little to no music once again. Seriously, all you can here once again is Lara’s feet. And that’s all.
Music is composed by Peter Connelly.
Lara’s Last Breath?
Overall: Chronicles really is the same-old, same-old. Literally it’s the goddamn same. And by this time, the 5th year in a row, people were getting sick and tired of the same old thing. So the series took a break with the theatrical Lara Croft: Tomb Raider starring Angelina Jolie in 2001. But no worries, Lara will be back with a new game in 2003...oh boy.
2 / 5
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

I've heard about Tomb Raider games. I remember seeing stuff for it online. It sounds very interesting
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

This one was fun but too easy and short. Like a snack size TR compared to the gruelling Last Revelation that came out the year before. Still enjoyed the variety, but yes a couple of weird parts were it isn't logical what you should do next (The coin at the bottom of the lake for example!). Graphics are much better on the DC port btw, the downside is there are a few glitches on the last level.
Tic Tac, sir?