Chickaroo Reviews - Borderlands 2 (PS3)

Use this forum for all your game reviews, SEGA or otherwise. All threads will be moderated.
chickaroo1
Level 9
Level 9

Chickaroo Reviews - Borderlands 2 (PS3)

Post by chickaroo1 »

Ah yes, the great comic book styled Borderlands series is back! And with an all-new cast of characters and a new enemy too! Who will be the next vault hunter?Game: Borderlands 2
Systems: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, OS X, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Linux
Release Dates: PS3 / 360 / PC: 9/18/12 (NA), 10/25/12 (JP)
OS X: 11/20/12 (NA)
PS Vita: 5/13/14 (NA)
Linux: 9/30/14 (NA)
PS4 / Xbox One: 3/24/15 (NA)
Developers: Gearbox Software
Ain’t No Place For a Hero
Story: Borderlands 2 takes place 5 years after the first game. Four new to-be Vault Hunters are headed to Pandora to search for the Vault yet again. But there is now a new threat in their way - a man named Handsome Jack who really does not want these new Vault Hunters in his way. But will these Vault Hunters stop him?
Better, Faster, Harder
Gameplay: Much has improved since the last game.
At the start of the game, you get to pick your character. There are 4 to start with (unless you get the Game of the Year edition with the extra character DLC, which adds up to 6). Each character has their own abilities as per usual. I personally pick Maya, the Siren. She has the ability to phaselock enemies and hold them still to shoot them down.
In terms of the main game, it’s rather similar to the last game. There are a bunch of guns to collect throughout the game. And there are a bunch of story missions and side missions you can do as well. A cool feature added to the game is the ability to customize your character (to a degree). You can unlock character heads and have the character have different hair cuts and color schemes. Another cool feature is the badass ranks. If you complete a certain skill point, you are rewarded with a badass rank, which lets you level up your characters’ stats, such as reload rate and how fast your shield will charge up.
One thing holding back the game is the difficulty. This game has a big difficulty spike once level 10 or 11 kicks in. Seriously this game will get tough and you will hate seeing the death animation, for it is long. It holds back the game.
Colorfully White
Graphics: The game does look great but some environments that will look and get old. Such as a wintery world that is huge, but very empty. I really don't like snow levels. And one hub world, named Sanctuary is cool, but outside of it is so empty. I just wish there was just a bit more.
A Bit On the Quiet Side
Music: Honest to god, I can barely remember the music. It just isn’t that memorable. The only track I can somewhat remember is when you start up the game on the main menu. Other than that, it feels lifeless.
Music is composed by Raison Varner, Sascha Dikiciyan, Cris Velasco, Jesper Kyd, and Kevin Riepl.
Can You Take It All In?
Overall: All in all, Borderlands 2 is a pretty alright game. It’s a bit better than the first but it does hold back a bit with the difficulty and the way too long death-and-revival animation. The first game was quick but this, oh man. You will see it a lot. It’s nice to see returning characters and new ones but I don’t know, this game doesn’t really grab me as much as I want it to.
4 / 5