SEGATHON 3: Raising Money for Marie Curie!

The latest updates and comments on our Live Shows...
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Awinnerwasyou wrote: Why doesn't this keyboard have a pound sign?
Do you have an American keyboard or something? 😆
Awinnerwasyou
News Team
News Team

Post by Awinnerwasyou »

Nope, I was using the internet in my hotel's lobby. Probably was an American one, though!
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

So, here we are. 23 and a bit hours removed from SEGATHON 3, and I felt like I should write a few words about how I'm feeling, now that I've had the time to process what we've achieved.

First off, I'd like to say how proud I am to be both a member of this site and of its community. I know that, outside of SNS, I've not been as active recently as I was when I joined nearly eight years ago, but this place is very special to me.

Now - SEGATHON 3. The total we've raised is just amazing. At the time of writing that's £1270.46, with an extra £254.61 coming through in GiftAid donations, putting us on a total of £1525.07. For a charity such as Marie Curie who, I believe, don't do as much advertising as other charities in the UK do and, for that reason, don't get as much funding as they should, this as an amazing amount of money, and I'm proud to have been able to raise that for them.

I say "at the time of writing" as the page will stay open for 7 days or so after the actual event, and I've still got a donation to put in from work, so the final total WILL be higher. If you wanted to donate during SEGATHON 3 but couldn't, or you just want to drop an extra one in, you are more than welcome to.

I also wanted to address something I tried to say during the stream itself, but quite possibly due to a lack of sleep and not being able to formulate my thoughts correctly I don't think I came across as I wanted to, and that's regarding how SEGATHON 3 was organised by myself - specifically on how badly I did it. Whilst doing a Google search for SEGATHON 3 earlier out of curiosity, a RS link popped up with the SNS episode where I first mentioned SEGATHON 3. When was it? February 2015. Since Feb, I don't think I really did much with the idea until I knew when I wanted to run it, and that was 4-6 weeks beforehand.

In those 4-6 weeks, outside of SNS, I didn't really promote SEGATHON 3. All in all I wrote three articles on the homepage about it - I didn't contact any outside fansites to see if they wanted to run any stories, and KC handled any exchanges with SEGA, which was wrong of me as I should've really done it myself. I also started putting stretch goals up in the faint hope that this could drum up interest - the My Little Pony one in particular. When people started saying that they wanted me to hit £5000 so I'd have to watch it, I started believing that it was a goal I could hit, even when I was being told it was unrealistic based on the previous two fundraisers I had run.

Despite this, I was convinced, and my confidence that we were going to have a record breaking night was shattered when, during yesterday evening, I think we went almost 6 hours without a donation. I kept telling myself that this was doable, that we had managed to raise £500 in an hour so time was still on my side. I got greedy, and I was selfish. The charity holds a personal value to me, and I wanted to raise that lofty goal for them, and for my family. I wanted them to be proud of me for what I was doing, even though I knew they already were.

So I'd like to admit that I was wrong, and if I could have my time again I would've handled this a lot better. The benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing, however, and after getting a great night's sleep and looking back, I've seen that there is a lot to be proud of, and I am proud of it. For a website and community of our size, we have managed to raise over £1000 for the second fundraiser in a row, and that is no mean feat. In fact, due to the passage of time and the amount of time we as staff have spent, or not spent, on trying to grow RadioSEGA, I'd say we're probably a little bit smaller than we were back in 2013 around the time of SEGATHON 2 and again, that's not a bad thing. We're a tight knit group, we don't have any dramas or fallings out. We have a staff forum where we used to file reports on people who we deemed as, pardon the term, "tossers", but that hasn't been used since 2012. I'm proud of you guys as well, who really backed this campaign and tried everything to raise the total - even getting in touch with MLP fansites and, in one instance, tweeting the Pope! He didn't tweet back though, so God is clearly a Nintendo fan. We really gave it a good crack.

Now then - stretch goals. If you tuned in you'll know that we hit a couple, so here's a rundown of what I'll be doing:

1 - I will be watching all five Twilight films, with all electronic devices banned. Mena will tweet updates via the RadioSEGA Twitter page as each film is watched. As we didn't hit the £2000 goal, I don't have to watch them in a one-day marathon, only over 5 days.
2 - I will be buying Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd on PS Vita, as I'd prefer the handheld version to the console one - I have Project Diva F for that purpose. I'm waiting until I get paid on Wednesday to purchase it, and I'm currently looking for the best place to pick it up from. Confirmation of its arrival will be a video posted on the RadioSEGA Twitter account.
3 - I will also be buying Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX on 3DS. I know where I'm getting this from, and again I'm waiting until Wednesday to pick it up. A video will be posted on Twitter once I've got it.
4 - As a bonus, because you were all amazing even when I wasn't, I've decided to enforce the £2500 stretch goal, and as a result Titans Creed will be teaching me how to play World of Warcraft, with the results being recorded as a sort of Lets Play video to be posted on YouTube. I'm yet to chat with TC about this, and I've no idea when we'll be able to schedule it in, but as soon as I know, I'll let you guys know.
5 - In one last fit of charitable greed...IF, in the next 7 days, we can better SEGATHON 2s overall total, which is £2100, I'll enforce both the £5000 and £5500 goals. Being realistic I don't see this happening, I just thought it'd be a fun little thing to task you with :P

OK, I'm done talking now. Thank you so much again for being great sports! (And, if you need the link for donations, it's http://www.justgiving.com/segathon3)
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

So we still have a chance to raise more money for Marie Curie while ALSO torturing you with MLP? Sign me up!
There can be only one Sonic! Metal Sonic is the real Sonic! Long live Metal Sonic!
Metal Sonic is the best! Death to all who oppose Metal Sonic! Metal Sonic rocks!

Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Awwww kinds words you said there! Your mother is very proud of what her son has accomplished, not just SEGATHON but making sure his wellbeing is still be taken care of.

Now for them stretch goals....there's still a chance you could join the herd. xD
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

supersega
Level 6
Level 6

Post by supersega »

Oh crap, this means I have to do my goal, too. NOOOOOO
Collection; Neo Geo CD, JVC X'Eye, Model 1 Genesis, Model 2 Genesis, 2 Japanese Saturns, 2 Game Gears in a few thousand pieces, 5 or 8 PS1s (don't judge), 1 PS1 DTL (TOOL, NOT a Yaroze), 1 Gamecube, 1 Wii, 1 Xbox 360, 2 Gameboy Advances, 1 3DS, 1 PS2 TEST that WORKS!!!

Do I have a console addiction?
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

What would your goal be? :)
supersega wrote:Oh crap, this means I have to do my goal, too. NOOOOOO
There can be only one Sonic! Metal Sonic is the real Sonic! Long live Metal Sonic!
Metal Sonic is the best! Death to all who oppose Metal Sonic! Metal Sonic rocks!

Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

FINAL TOTAL FOR SEGATHON 3!

Donations - £1325.75
GiftAid - 260.94

Total Raised - £1586.69

Thank you so much for your kindness, it really will go a long way. I'm in the process of trying to find copies of Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd and Project Mirai DX without breaking the bank, and we're yet to find the best time to start watching Twilight, but I assure you it's still on the cards.

I'll be honest - I'm just glad I don't have to watch MLP or buy a rival football shirt!
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Good luck. I lasted about 8 minutes trying to watch Twilight. And that was with girls - even they suggested we turn over and watch Coronation Street.
Tic Tac, sir?