The Sonic Discussion and News Thread

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Reknoc wrote:I think I'd welcome a Sonic Adventure 3, just so when it turns out to be awful because a name is meaningless (see: Sonic 4). People beg for it because they think a name will change something and they don't want to admit that, for all intents and purposes Sonic '06 was a spiritual Sonic Adventure 3.
Somebody said this before I remember on another thread. I think it was actually still you Rek but of course its true. The thing is that 06 would have been a fine ass game (Story aside) if it wasn't unfinished. It had all the right ideas of a Sonic Adventure game there. Hubworld, deep story, multiple playable characters and pretty good(if not overused) rock band soundtrack. It just didn't do them right.

You know though I still can't help but feel like the Sonic Adventure hate came out of nowhere. Sure there always used to be a few fans here and there that didn't like the SA games and thought they hadn't aged well but the general opinion was that those SA games were good. Then out of nowhere at almost the same times came big name youtube reviewers like Projared and that other guy Jimmy Whetzel and their reviews of the SA games became basically a list of "what is wrong with the SA games" and from there on it became a thing to call the SA games shit.
That's not to say that I disagree with those reviews or think they're wrong but they basically reviewed those games only mentioned its bad qualities and those bad qualities became what everyone says now about the SA games.
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

@quills on wheels

I agree that all the hatred for SA came late in the game. For us that lived through when they first came out we were amazed by them because they really did look head and shoulders above Mario 64 and other equivalent games of the time period. The varied characters were fun, the graphics were amazing, and the voice acting was run and new for a "platformer". I remember even when new games out from Sega the demo in our store had SA running for a long time because the game made the N64 and PS1 demos machines look like garbage.
SegaClubMusic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SegaClubMusic »

And then people keep complaining about the others views. These youtubers... THEY don't like SA games. In my case (I am surely not alone) I deeply hate these last sonic games that focused on running and QTE aspects since the first time it appeared (Sonic Advance 3 and Sonic Runners). That is NOT Sonic, for me.

Sonic should destroy an enemy by falling on an enemy. Try doing it in unleashed or in the modern gameplay of generations.

For me, it is not funny at all. I can get a lot of enjoyment from Sonic Adventure's Emerald Hill and other statges.

I control the character, the speed if controllable, but still fun enough for me to have the same feelings from the blast processor era. I am not being LED to nowhere.

Sonic Unleashed makes me think I am not in control of Sonic, but just driving him, you know? HEYY DRIFT TIME, QTE, A. A. A. JUMP, R1 R1 R1 SUPER BOOST.

Damn, I get dizzy
Midnight Illusion [SUP]~Livin' into the speed
[/SUP]
[SUP]
"The Gale Racer"[/SUP]
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

"Sonic Adventure's Emerald Hill"

I don't know if this misreads your preference as a classic fan, adventure fan, or you just got mixed up with the level actual name in SA1.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

SegaClubMusic wrote:And then people keep complaining about the others views. These youtubers... THEY don't like SA games. In my case (I am surely not alone) I deeply hate these last sonic games that focused on running and QTE aspects since the first time it appeared (Sonic Advance 3 and Sonic Runners). That is NOT Sonic, for me.

Sonic should destroy an enemy by falling on an enemy. Try doing it in unleashed or in the modern gameplay of generations.

For me, it is not funny at all. I can get a lot of enjoyment from Sonic Adventure's Emerald Hill and other statges.

I control the character, the speed if controllable, but still fun enough for me to have the same feelings from the blast processor era. I am not being LED to nowhere.

Sonic Unleashed makes me think I am not in control of Sonic, but just driving him, you know? HEYY DRIFT TIME, QTE, A. A. A. JUMP, R1 R1 R1 SUPER BOOST.

Damn, I get dizzy
What?
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Quills on Wheels wrote: Starting to feel bad for the Wii U. First it was ZombiU, now Sonic Lost World lol.
Neither were games that sold the console. At best they were entertaining extra exclusives for people who already had the console.
Gonic wrote:Im all up for a chao garden, I'd honestly think it would work better as a stand alone game. Hub World's were frustrating IMO, I'd rather have a classic sonic act by act type of thing.
The Chao Garden was the best thing about the Adventure series. The best way to bring it back, in my opinion, is to release it as a stand alone mobile title. Easy to dip in and out to see how your Chao are doing from time to time, add a few mini games and you've got a winning combo on your hands.
Jamie64326 wrote:Sticks is one of the best things that comes from the Boom games. I'd like to see her in the main series.
What's a "Sticks"?
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Kaito-kun wrote: What's a "Sticks"?
You never heard of the Sonic Boom/Toon side series then.

Anyways, SEGA of Japan launched its Sonic 25th anniversary website recently.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Kaito-kun wrote:What's a "Sticks"?
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Apparently we'll get big announcements on June/July. Don't remember where I read that though.

I may most likely be just wrong haha.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

TheChaosBlue wrote:Image
Finally! A Sonic character with an agreeable personality!