The Sonic Discussion and News Thread

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

I know I've said this before, but can I just take the time again to say how much of an underrated game Sonic and the Black Knight is?
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Quills on Wheels wrote:Apparently we'll get big announcements on June/July. Don't remember where I read that though.

I may most likely be just wrong haha.

I wasn't wrong! On the Friday we had 2 major announcements from the Sonic 25th anniversary Party. Two brand new Sonic games along with some other smaller news.

Getting the small things out of the way first, Season 2 of Sonic Boom was officially announced and Sega revealed that Sonic Dash had hit more than 200 million downloads. We also got a debut trailer for Sonic in LEGO Dimensions! ...Hurray?

Now for the games, we got Sonic Mania! A game that seems to bring its roots back to the original 2D games on the Genesis with beautiful pixelated visuals and re-imagined levels of the past.
Personally, I love this. This isn't the first time we had Sega try to re-create the classic 2D feel of the original games but damn does it feel like it might become their best attempt. I'm just hypnotized by the pixel graphics honestly.

[video=youtube_share;vZacqqJuw4Y]https://youtu.be/vZacqqJuw4Y[/video]

And then we also got a trailer for an untitled Sonic game in production by the creators of Sonic Colours and Generations. Here's the Trailer.

The setting seems to be quite different, showing a world where Eggman has possibly already began taking over the world. And then we also see Classic Sonic. I'm assuming we're dealing with time travel again here.

Overall, the reception for these announcements seem to be mixed. Some people don't like seeing Classic Sonic again. Some feel annoyed that Fire and Ice is all they're getting for 2016. I think overall, people are just being cautious to not have too much hope before the games are out.
I'm kind of in that boat too. Though I'm still really excited for Sonic Mania.
Jackisback
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jackisback »

The intro animation... It is sooooo beautiful
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Jackisback wrote:The intro animation... It is sooooo beautiful
Sonic intro CG animations have generally been always good.

I'm hoping this 2017 title is going to be a bit darker and serious in tone. It's the first Modern Sonic game since the reveal and release of the Boom series and I'm hoping that the childish and cheesy jokes and script is toned down a bit.

I do agree with some people tho. I would have preferred seeing any other Sonic character in that intro animation than classic Sonic. I miss playing as other characters...
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Quills on Wheels wrote:
I'm hoping this 2017 title is going to be a bit darker and serious in tone. It's the first Modern Sonic game since the reveal and release of the Boom series and I'm hoping that the childish and cheesy jokes and script is toned down a bit.
Last time that happened we got Sonic'06 and Shadow The Hedgehog. The writing in Colours and Generations is fine for Sonic.
Jackisback
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jackisback »

For me
I just wan't sonic to be either sonic from sonic unleashed or sonic from the Archie comics

Cool, blue, and full of attitude
kadosho
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kadosho »

Between Generations 2 and Mania.. my gaming heart is skipping a beat. I remember back when OCR was just dreaming of being part of vgm composing, and now they're crossing over even more. I am curious if Mania might even have its music intermixed with various acts (like Jet Set Radio did, as if a live DJ were spinning the beats)
Jackisback
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jackisback »

I am some down with that, if that becomes the case.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Gonic wrote:Last time that happened we got Sonic'06 and Shadow The Hedgehog. The writing in Colours and Generations is fine for Sonic.
Is it though? I sure don't remember anyone praising those games for their humorous and witty writing. Nobody was like "Oh man, I sure liked that Baldy Mc Nosehair joke! haha!". They were good because they played well.

Inversely, Sonic 06 and Shadow were broken games. They weren't bad because they were more serious. We've gotten some great stuff from darker-toned sonic games.
Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

Actually, if you look again, people were prasing it (not massively, but more so for not being overly complicated like some of them were). What I personally liked about it myself was character interactions, this really stood out in Lost World and I hope they continue it. When I think of a blue hedgehog, dark and grittyness is not something that should follow it. Games like SA2 and onwards took themselves so seriously it was kind of embarrassing.