The Sonic Discussion and News Thread

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Bubblegumspit
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Bubblegumspit »

Ok, so there's a fan game called "Sonic gather battle" that has a virus in it. Here's a tweet that explains it in full detail: https://twitter.com/SparksChannelYT/sta ... 7036169216
So I suggest that you stay away from that game and if you already have it downloaded, DELETE IT IMMEDIATELY!
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

Been a while since the last Sonic news round up so let's talk about some recent things.

Sonic Mania is getting DLC and alongside new content, we're getting Mighty and Ray as playable characters. I was awake for the stream when they announced this and I kind of lost my sh*t when they announced Mighty and Ray. I don't necessarily have any history with these characters but they've just been such long lost fan favorites that you can't help but get excited about.

The new Sonic IDW comic series is right around the corner and it's looking promising and offering a fresh start for the comic universe alongside cool engaging story lines. I quite enjoy Ian Flynn's work and I really liked what his plans were for the Archie comics. Giving him a black sheet to start writing the story on means great potential.

A teaser was shown for a new Sonic racing game. It's been explained that the game isn't a sequel but they highlighted an R in the title that looks very similar to the R from Sonic R. Perhaps a Sonic R remake? (haha...no) I don't really have much to say about this one because there really wasn't shown much. We'll have to see more.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Been a while and some new info has been popping up here and there. Figured I'd update this thread and maybe spark some conversation.

That mysterious new Sonic racing game has been revealed. Introducing, Team Sonic Racing, scheduled for release this winter. You can check out the new teaser trailer, (Yes I said teaser trailer... the game still hasn't received a proper trailer.) featuring Sonic riding a revamped version of his iconic All stars racing car and versing Shadow in an all new edgy version of Sonic's car.

[video=youtube;IZMkv8_w1yI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZMkv8_w1yI&t=0s[/video]

The reception seems to be generally fine. The game is going to be made by Sumo Digital who were responsible for All Stars Racing Transformed which did a great job as a racer. From the trailer as well as leaked screenshots thanks to Wal-mart, it's clear that this is meant as the next spiritual sequel to All Stars racing, except that all the other franchises are now kicked out of the game and it's been re branded.

Some people were bummed out that the reveal trailer was just another teaser trailer. Others were disappointed that the game ended up having little to do with Sonic R which shares the same R font for their titles and was teased in the previous teaser trailer.

I just really REALLY want them to release the full song for that guitar track they played in the trailer.

Thoughts?
RetroBob
Level 5
Level 5
Preferred pronouns: That bellend

Post by RetroBob »

Thank god this game is being made by Sumo! I will play for sure as I LOVED Transformed and frankly would have been happy with a Switch version of that.

Goes without saying, hopefully Richard Jacques is involved.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

RetroBob wrote:Thank god this game is being made by Sumo! I will play for sure as I LOVED Transformed and frankly would have been happy with a Switch version of that.

Goes without saying, hopefully Richard Jacques is involved.
Yeah I was a bit fan of Transformed too and almost got into it competitively.
Sega's been very hush-hush, wink-wink, nudge-nudge about the song from the teaser trailer and Aaron Webber has been hyping the song up in tweets and replies to comments in the youtube video. Some also say the guitar track feels very nostalgic of Crush 40. Here's fingers crossed that it's officially their return to Sonic music.

I've been keeping up to date with the new IDW Sonic comics too recently and it's been pretty decent so far. With 6 issues out, it's building the world set out by Sonic Forces and making it really interesting.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Read this one USGamer staffer's preview of the game and there some things I pointed out on Twitter:
"A major change is hinted at in the game's title: 'Team Sonic Racing' can be played solo, but you're always racing in a team. Each team is comprised of three characters who race in tandem."
So Sonic Heroes Racing basically.
"Using team actions slowly fills up your team's Ultimate meter. Once it's full, you can pull off your Team Ultimate, which is essentially like powering up your entire squad with Invincible Stars from Mario Kart."
I'm sure Crash Nitro Kart also utilized that same function in where if close to your teammate, your Team Frenzy meter would build up and when it's full it unlocks the ability to unleash many weapons for a limited time.
"Items in Team Sonic Racing are all based on the Wisps first introduced in Sonic Colors. They come in 14 varieties with offensive and defensive applications."
Welcome back, Wisp Announcer.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Gonic
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Gonic »

I'm confident that Sumo can make another good kart game. My only gripe about Transformed was the awful rubber banding the game had.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Twinny wrote:Read this one USGamer staffer's preview of the game and there some things I pointed out on Twitter:

So Sonic Heroes Racing basically.

I'm sure Crash Nitro Kart also utilized that same function in where if close to your teammate, your Team Frenzy meter would build up and when it's full it unlocks the ability to unleash many weapons for a limited time.

Welcome back, Wisp Announcer.
Interesting. I'd heard people theorizing that the game was going to be like Sonic Heroes but it's interesting to see it actually be true. Gameplay footage is also out now and it all looks as you except. Essentially Sonic All Stars racing 3 without the all stars. I'm gonna feel right at home.

My only gripe with this is the small selection of characters. Normally 15 racers doesn't sound too bad but if you're bundling them into groups of 3 for each race, that means you've only really got 5 teams to choose from.

Also I still have my unpopular opinion that I dislike the wisps and think they're a wasted opportunity to re-integrate the Chao back into the game. It kind of sucks to look at screenshots and see chao reduced to just audience in the crowd.
Kaito-kun
Level 15
Level 15
Preferred pronouns: He/Him/They

Post by Kaito-kun »

Gonic wrote:I'm confident that Sumo can make another good kart game. My only gripe about Transformed was the awful rubber banding the game had.
That and the rubbish guest characters.

Anyway, the game came out a while back and apparently it's...Fine, I guess? https://www.metacritic.com/game/playsta ... nic-racing
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Kaito-kun wrote:That and the rubbish guest characters.

Anyway, the game came out a while back and apparently it's...Fine, I guess? https://www.metacritic.com/game/playsta ... nic-racing
I'd say it's more of a shame. Seems like mostly a downgrade from All Stars Transformed and there's a sever lack of variety in stages and characters. Also not to nitpick but I'm still a bit iffy with some of the team choices. Zavok in Team Eggman? Vector in Team Silver instead of Chaotix?? A bunch of chao in Team Rose? What happened to the Sonic Heroes teams maaaan :unsure:

So let's round up a couple of noteworthy news from the last few months.

1) I read somewhere that Sega decided to allow for longer development time between each Sonic game. In theory, this should help Sonic Team and help them release Sonic games without rushing them like they often seem to do. However, many fans - me included - are still sceptical and think that Sonic Team's issue isn't time but just an incompetent development team. I guess only time will tell how they do.

2) The Sonic movie sequel is officially announced to be in development. We all knew it was gonna happen. Hopefully this time it won't take forever for it to get released. Fingers crossed they try to stay faithful to the games and introduce more things like the Chaos emeralds or Metal Sonic.

Thoughts?