The Official Memories of SEGA Thread

Have something to say, or having any issues? Let us know...
Awinnerwasyou
News Team
News Team

The Official Memories of SEGA Thread

Post by Awinnerwasyou »

I think it's about time I made a thread for this!

In Memories of SEGA, I look back at the games I played in my childhood, as well as more recent ones. However, I'd also like to hear about your experiences as well! That's the main purpose of this thread- to discuss the games featured, and what they meant to you. Of course, feedback is also welcome.

So, here's the latest edition of Memories of SEGA, which focuses on The House of the Dead 2.

https://www.radiosega.net/news/features ... he-dead-2/

What are your memories of this game?
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

One of my fondest memories of The House of the Dead 2 was blowing a whole £15 on the arcade game with a friend of mine. We where going to the cinema and on the way we stopped off in an arcade. One hour later we had spent all of our money on that game XD
I still remember feeling like a badass, stood next the cabinet with the credits rolling.

And then that same friend got it on Dreamcast a couple of years later and we found out about the alternate routes. That was a huge deal. Great game. I haven't checked out House of the Dead 4... but there is one a cab at my local cinema might have to go and blow £15 again XD
Gavvie
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by Gavvie »

House of the Dead 2 is actually the only one I've not played a lot of, funnily enough. I've got 3 and 4 on PSN, and they're quite fun little timewasters, really, and the first is just a classic. But the second? Yeah, not really put a lot of time into it.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

To be honest...my earliest memories of SEGA are recent in a way. In the early 2000s I heard of SEGA of the first time through Sonic Advance, then Sonic Heroes, and THEN Jet Set Radio back in...2006? I can't remember that clearly.
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

TheChaosBlue wrote:To be honest...my earliest memories of SEGA are recent in a way. In the early 2000s I heard of SEGA of the first time through Sonic Advance, then Sonic Heroes, and THEN Jet Set Radio back in...2006? I can't remember that clearly.
Generally, our venture into the SEGAverse was completely nonexistent until the turn of the new millennium. It was mostly PlayStation for us during the late 90s to early 00s.
Quills on Wheels
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Quills on Wheels »

My home country (Iran) was generally a Sega Genesis country. there weren't many NESes around. Most families had Sega Genesis' (Though looking back I wonder whether that was because the Genesis was easier to pirate and hack). Eitherway, my dad's side of the family was pretty hard into the Genesis. My two youngest uncles owned one and they would constantly play it. Naturally I got into it too and I remember my earliest experiences with Sega being always going to my grandmother's house to play on their Genesis. I'd play Sonic 1 and 3D blast, Streets of Rage 3 and The Lost Vikings. I couldn't have a genesis of my own because my parents wouldn't let me have a console, believing that it would interfere too much with my school...

Eventually my uncles bought me a genesis for my bday (My parents weren't too happy about that :P ) but it was amazing. I played the console none stop. One of my greatest memories was to be able to play with my dad! He was always busy with work and heavily disliked videogames so would avoid playing videogames with me. To this date, I've only managed to get him to play with me only twice or thrice, all which were back in the genesis days when he sat down and played some SoF 1 and TMNT with me. *sigh* I miss those days.

Oh yeah Sonic took over my life after.
Killer French Bread
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Killer French Bread »

Played it a fair bit in the arcades, don't think I ever made it past the magician without coin feeding though. Was a glorious year or so back then for coin ops when the Naomi came out and the Model 3 had given us some good games. Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Time Crisis 2. Lot's of good stuff to play. Always felt silent scope was the biggest hit out of all the shooting games of the time.
Tic Tac, sir?
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

Talking about game intros, here are some of my favourite openings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQLfySIQUEE

The opening to Ristar is a textbook example of how to give a brief overview of the story and introduce a brand new character. Great music as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XwvJR_-X4Y

I love this opening sequence. I'm not really sure I want to break it it down. It's just brilliant, full of characters to meet and places to explore... damn I'm going to have to replay SoA now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2XEOuU7vSE

Kid Chameleon has to be one of my favourite openings, when I was a kid the whole idea of an arcade game using holograms to map the levels and you would die if you failed was something I really wanted to play and wished was real... messed up i know!

Also you can't beat that leather jacket and blue jeans combo. Shout-outs to the 90's XD
Twinny
News Team
News Team
Preferred pronouns: He/Him

Post by Twinny »

Even though I own the 3D Classics version of Streets of Rage 1, still felt like I was playing it back in the time it originally came out with its opening, even tho I also wasn't even born when it came out, haha.

The music used with the cityscape scrolling along as the text told me how the game's events reached how they came to be just felt right.
Radio:SEGA: Gang Since October 2010

Awinnerwasyou
News Team
News Team

Post by Awinnerwasyou »

With Memories of SEGA now a weekly segment on the SEGA Lounge, I felt now might be a good time to revive this thread. As ever, I'd love to know your own experiences with the games I cover on the show. Did you enjoy them? What were your favourite moments or memories? Put them down here!

In last week's edition, I looked back at the rather abysmal The Cyber Shinobi.Have you played this game, and did you think more highly of it than I did?

[video=youtube;V0Kl3NpbKu0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Kl3NpbKu0[/video]