Why Isn't There A List Of SEGA Soundtracks Currently Available To Buy??

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
RapidRun
Level 3
Level 3

Why Isn't There A List Of SEGA Soundtracks Currently Available To Buy??

Post by RapidRun »

Ok. Let me just start off by saying that this website is delightfully amazing for the fact that it has such an amazing library of musical content available for us to listen to freely! And thank you to whomever is responsible for this (I think it's KC; someone correct me if someone else is also involved)

But my burning question (and hopefully yours too) is why no one has made a complete and up to date list of SEGA brand soundtracks--both digital and physical--that are available to purchase?! Like, as of the writing of this thread, I've gone on iTunes--both on iOS and on the pc via the iTunes application, and have found out that not only do many soundtracks not show up when entering the keyword "sega" (note: not case-sensitive), irrelevant music is everywere. For example, soundtracks for foreign people with the name sega in it show up, as well as The Twilight Saga. OF ALL THINGS, WHY TWILIGHT?! Saga and SEGA are one letter apart from each other. The heck...

Also, I may be mistaken, but I somewhat remember soundtracks being on there in the past, but are not available to purchase anymore.

Another issue with missing soundtracks is the difficulty to find physical cds of SEGA music. For example, there is a version of an album that SEGA released in the early 2000s that featured a collection of Takenobu Mitsuyoshi's music (the guy who worked on Daytona USA and Shenmue's music, to name a few). This album is currently unavailable for purchase on cdjapan, playasia, or whatever sega direct turned into (I forget what it's called, sorry).

Someone, please help me create a full and up to date listing of the soundtracks available to purchase anywhere reputable so that we can all support enjoy the amazingness that are SEGA's artists!

Thank you! ^_^
KC
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KC »

Well, to put it simply, because it's not a easy thing to do.

One of the many ideas I have for the (probably distant) future is to create a database of SEGA albums with links to places where people can buy them from, and make it available on RS. That is not an easy task, though. SEGA have removed and removed/re-added many digital versions of their soundtracks; many physical albums are sold out... It's something that, as useful and interesting as it sounds, may never see the light of day, because we'll probably never have the time to put it together.

A little aside, regarding the struggles of searching for 'sega' music. Sega is actually a genre of music. One that has African roots. Which is why you get several weird and apparently unrelated results when using that word.

If you want to put some time and effort into creating this database, though, we'd be more than happy to use it in the future! If not, at least there's VGMdb, which is an awesome resource.
Awinnerwasyou
News Team
News Team

Post by Awinnerwasyou »

RapidRun wrote: But my burning question (and hopefully yours too) is why no one has made a complete and up to date list of SEGA brand soundtracks--both digital and physical--that are available to purchase?! Like, as of the writing of this thread, I've gone on iTunes--both on iOS and on the pc via the iTunes application, and have found out that not only do many soundtracks not show up when entering the keyword "sega" (note: not case-sensitive), irrelevant music is everywere. For example, soundtracks for foreign people with the name sega in it show up, as well as The Twilight Saga. OF ALL THINGS, WHY TWILIGHT?! Saga and SEGA are one letter apart from each other. The heck...
Yeah, I noticed this too. A few months back they started showing only a few results as opposed to all results, and I do find that very annoying as I don't always remember what music is on there, and thus can't really look them up. Even worse when I'm looking for music by Zuntata, as I don't know half of what they have on there!

The sudden inclusion of results with the word "Saga" in it is also quite baffling. As you say, it's not even the same word! Would be nice if Apple did something about it. Doubt it though. The idea of a database of available OSTs is a great idea, but as KC said it's not one that's easy to do. Worth thinking about if we can pull it off, though!
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I don't have iTunes, but if what's being said here is any indication SEGA's western 'counterparts' music album offerings aren't as precise as it can be. That, and what exactly KC said: that's not an easy task to do.

Besides, when it comes to databases...isn't that what the VGMDB is for?