Dreamcast Network Service

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Dreamcast Network Service

Post by Midwinter »

For those of you who haven't been keeping up with the Dreamcast scene I thought I would post this. I thought it was a pretty neat set up that tries to mimic Xbox Live/Playstation Network.

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2 ... eased.html
supersega
Level 6
Level 6

Post by supersega »

Yup! That DreamPi looks easy and interesting. However, having a 50 feet phone cord and free dialup is more than enough for me, lol.
Collection; Neo Geo CD, JVC X'Eye, Model 1 Genesis, Model 2 Genesis, 2 Japanese Saturns, 2 Game Gears in a few thousand pieces, 5 or 8 PS1s (don't judge), 1 PS1 DTL (TOOL, NOT a Yaroze), 1 Gamecube, 1 Wii, 1 Xbox 360, 2 Gameboy Advances, 1 3DS, 1 PS2 TEST that WORKS!!!

Do I have a console addiction?
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

You get free dialup? Do you still play any games on it?

I had mine hooked to dial up back when SegaNet was around. I miss those days so much.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

Apparently you missed what DreamPi actually does.
It's an easy way to make a PC-DC server using a Raspberry Pi and getting a dreamcast online without having dialup.

In simpler words, you plug in a modem to a computer, then connect the dreamcast's modem with the computer's and make your PC act like a dialup provider.

I used a similar setup to do this.
https://twitter.com/RadioSEGA/status/622587749107941380
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

Whooa21 wrote:Apparently you missed what DreamPi actually does.
It's an easy way to make a PC-DC server using a Raspberry Pi and getting a dreamcast online without having dialup.

In simpler words, you plug in a modem to a computer, then connect the dreamcast's modem with the computer's and make your PC act like a dialup provider.

I used a similar setup to do this.
https://twitter.com/RadioSEGA/status/622587749107941380
A set up I'm looking to try down the line.
supersega
Level 6
Level 6

Post by supersega »

Midwinter wrote:You get free dialup? Do you still play any games on it?

I had mine hooked to dial up back when SegaNet was around. I miss those days so much.
Awesome! How was SegaNet anyways? And yeah, there are lots of free dial up services out there. Mine's one in Michigan, forget the name. Yup, play PSO on Sylverant every once in a while.
Collection; Neo Geo CD, JVC X'Eye, Model 1 Genesis, Model 2 Genesis, 2 Japanese Saturns, 2 Game Gears in a few thousand pieces, 5 or 8 PS1s (don't judge), 1 PS1 DTL (TOOL, NOT a Yaroze), 1 Gamecube, 1 Wii, 1 Xbox 360, 2 Gameboy Advances, 1 3DS, 1 PS2 TEST that WORKS!!!

Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

Seganet was great back in the day because it was one of a kind. It was my first console I had online. It had its issues though. Couldn't log in at times, lag, etc...

Xbox blew it out of the water though.

I still miss it though because of the nostalgia. I wish I would have played PSO more. I played most of the other games more because I could play them in short bursts while I was going to college.
supersega
Level 6
Level 6

Post by supersega »

Midwinter wrote:Seganet was great back in the day because it was one of a kind. It was my first console I had online. It had its issues though. Couldn't log in at times, lag, etc...

Xbox blew it out of the water though.

I still miss it though because of the nostalgia. I wish I would have played PSO more. I played most of the other games more because I could play them in short bursts while I was going to college.
I can see that. You can still play PSO today, just not as popular. Lol.

Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

supersega wrote:I can see that. You can still play PSO today, just not as popular. Lol.
Yeah. I really enjoyed playing Phantasy Star Universe when it came out since I did miss PSO so much. I had a hard time finding people to play with though. I assume that is why Sega is hesitating to bring PSO2 west.
supersega
Level 6
Level 6

Post by supersega »

Midwinter wrote:Yeah. I really enjoyed playing Phantasy Star Universe when it came out since I did miss PSO so much. I had a hard time finding people to play with though. I assume that is why Sega is hesitating to bring PSO2 west.
Yeah, sadly. I wish PSO2 would come to the west. I tried to get it over here, but just couldn't, and had to settle for PSO, lol.