Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation

TV, Movies, Music, Books and all that other entertainment type stuff...
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation

Post by Midwinter »

Thought I would start a thread to discuss the new show.

Anyone watching the show? I just finished episode 1 tonight and will probably try catching up with episodes 2 and 3 in the coming days.

I didn't expect the show's plot to be anything like it is. It took me awhile to switch gears and accept it. The first episode was a little slow, but still fun to watch. Especially with some Sega easter eggs and anything to do with Phantasy Star immediately is a win in my book.

Anyone know the audience this show is shooting for in Japan? (Just curious)
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

I watched the first episode and meant to see the others to see how much worse it could get but haven't got around to it yet. Wouldn't be so bad, despite being a blatant advert in the absolute worst and dumbest way, if the outside game stuff was any good. Except it's not, it's so insanely generic that it feels like it should be parody but the show constantly plays it straight faced even when they reveal its a straight up SEGA school.
Midwinter wrote:Anyone know the audience this show is shooting for in Japan? (Just curious)
People like the MC that have a passing knowledge of PSO2 but haven't played it.
TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I've heard it's a genetic high school slice of life setting with an above passing of the game itself at times.
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

So I watched episode 2. I would have watched episode 3, but I don't have a premium account and it is still locked for cheapskates like me.

It is pretty generic and probably warrants the criticism posted, but I can't help liking it since it is Sega related. I thought the second episode was fun and had a few good gags in it too. It is definitely not for someone looking for an action packed adventure. I like how it opens up a glimpse of Japan's thoughts towards how PSO2 should be played and the expected manners and respect players should have for their roles in the game.

I don't watch anime much any more. I think the last regular series I watched was Cowboy Bebop 15 years ago. So my opinion might just be because I am not used to the stereotypical generic anime setting and plot.
Reknoc
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Reknoc »

TheChaosBlue wrote:I've heard it's a genetic high school slice of life setting with an above passing of the game itself at times.
Despite being a typo this is actually perfect. It feels like it was some weird genetically engineered anime made from other shitty slice of life shows.