Do you ever use a CRT TV

Non-SEGA? Shove your general gaming posts in here...
santefering
Level 5
Level 5

Do you ever use a CRT TV

Post by santefering »

I'm curious how many people still use a CRT for their retro gaming or emulators. Personally I use my HDTV and projector for PS3. But my Wii ( which I have used on HD with component cables) I prefer to use on my CRT with Rgb scart and it looks more colourful and seems more to stand out. Especially using my Wii as a megadrive and master system emulator on it, games look gorgeous.
Also tempted to try my PS3 on my CRT but I remember using my 360 on it and games like dead rising looked squished and un-readable text.
So who else uses CRT?
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

I still use a CRT screen when playing my Sega Master System and sometimes my Dreamcast . The main reason is to be able to use the gun accessory for both systems.
santefering
Level 5
Level 5

Post by santefering »

Midwinter wrote:I still use a CRT screen when playing my Sega Master System and sometimes my Dreamcast . The main reason is to be able to use the gun accessory for both systems.
What cable do you use to hook up the dreamcast to the T.V?
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

I'm in USA so I just hook up using Composite.
santefering
Level 5
Level 5

Post by santefering »

Midwinter wrote:I'm in USA so I just hook up using Composite.
Might be worth getting s-video cable I think it's called. It's used here but not that common. I know dreamcast had vga but I didn't know anyone that used that hookup
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

santefering wrote:Might be worth getting s-video cable I think it's called. It's used here but not that common. I know dreamcast had vga but I didn't know anyone that used that hookup
I actually used to use S-Video, but I normally play my Dreamcast using VGA on my newer tv. Now when I want to use the gun accessory I move the Dreamcast over to my CRT and I just got lazy and stopped hooking up the S-video. If I fix one of my other Dreamcast units I can just leave one hooked up fulltime to my CRT screen.
supersega
Level 6
Level 6

Post by supersega »

Yup! My main screen for gaming is a GE/Thomson 27' CRT. Works pretty well for up to 64 bit era games, but after that, it starts looking sloppy.
Collection; Neo Geo CD, JVC X'Eye, Model 1 Genesis, Model 2 Genesis, 2 Japanese Saturns, 2 Game Gears in a few thousand pieces, 5 or 8 PS1s (don't judge), 1 PS1 DTL (TOOL, NOT a Yaroze), 1 Gamecube, 1 Wii, 1 Xbox 360, 2 Gameboy Advances, 1 3DS, 1 PS2 TEST that WORKS!!!

Do I have a console addiction?
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

I threw out a lovely CRT about 7 years ago when I was young and foolish and I was oh-so HDReady. I really regret it now, but thankfully someone I know might be giving a 28' TV to me soon. I think the first game I'll fire up will be Final Fight CD as that game looks great on a CTR, not to mention the soundtrack rocks too.
Whooa21
Dev Team
Dev Team

Post by Whooa21 »

I used to have a CRT monitor on my computer, but due to various issues (high power consumption being one of them) it got replaced with an LED one.
However I would love to make an RGB to VGA converter in order to use my GunCon 45 lightguns with it.

Apart from that I have a Samsung Flat CRT TV in my room, and also a widescreen Sony LCD TV for the rest. It depends on my mood which one I will use.
santefering
Level 5
Level 5

Post by santefering »

supersega wrote:Yup! My main screen for gaming is a GE/Thomson 27' CRT. Works pretty well for up to 64 bit era games, but after that, it starts looking sloppy.
So I'm guessing you wouldn't recommend hooking up a PS3 to a CRT lol
i need fruit wrote:I threw out a lovely CRT about 7 years ago when I was young and foolish and I was oh-so HDReady. I really regret it now, but thankfully someone I know might be giving a 28' TV to me soon. I think the first game I'll fire up will be Final Fight CD as that game looks great on a CTR, not to mention the soundtrack rocks too.
Oh my god I can't believe I forgot that game! Thank you.lol I'm going to download that and just prey I can get my sega cd emulator to work.