Club Sega and Joypolis

Strictly SEGA related discussion.
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Club Sega and Joypolis

Post by Midwinter »

Anyone here been to Club Sega in Akihabara or Joypolis?

I went about 5 years ago and really wanting to go back sometime soon.

Going to my local gameworks is not enough - I miss the real deal even if I do know my money is lining the Yakuza pocketbooks.

Just curious if anyone has any stories about their visit. My most memorable experience was entering the Prison Break experience at Joypolis and having people yell at me in Japanese and only knowing a handful of words. I think one of the girls there was crying too.

Finding some much sought after Dreamcast games in Akihabara was good too.
Alpha Dog 1996
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Alpha Dog 1996 »

I, unfortunately, have no stories as of yet about Joypolis or Club SEGA, but I definitely plan to go when I visit Japan in a few years. :) When I do, I'll post about it definitely!
There can be only one Sonic! Metal Sonic is the real Sonic! Long live Metal Sonic!
Metal Sonic is the best! Death to all who oppose Metal Sonic! Metal Sonic rocks!

TCB
Level 15
Level 15

Post by TCB »

I haven't been to either. I would have thought they could have been a little offshoot of either of those in New York City back in the day, no nope.
INeedFruit
Show DJ
Show DJ

Post by INeedFruit »

Midwinter wrote: having people yell at me in Japanese and only knowing a handful of words. I think one of the girls there was crying too.
Sounds like good times! XD

I've been to a few of the ClubSEGA's had some great experiences in them. When I was there it was when Virtua Fighter R had just dropped so there was loads of hype around that game. Had some great matches and was owning for a while. Until lunchtime can and all the killers in business suite came out to play. Got beat down so hard I'm not sure I've ever really recovered. I'll never forget one Kage player that perfected me twice in a row and then owned me in the rematch. :wacko:

I also loved visiting Super Potato, the retro game shop. I did not know it existed before we found it. Me and my wife where walking around when we heard the Zelda'You've found a secret' sound. We went into this building up a flight of stair and kept hear the sound, it eventually lead us to Super Potato. I thought I was the first to discover it, but turns out it's pretty well known!

It's a really amazing place to visit. I'm hopefully going back in the next few years...

[h=1][/h]
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

@i need fruit

Great stories. I too was totally decimated on a few games while I was there. It is quite humbling since I do ok back in the states.

Akihabara was tricky like that at times. I would be going through a building wondering if I was even in a place where I should be and then there was a game shop all of a sudden. Coming from a city like Phoenix (where most buildings are one story and spaced out) it is easy to get overwhelmed.
Buta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Buta »

Yes for Joypolis, back in 2007. I loved seeing the Dreams Come True stuff around. Was impressed with the skateboarding themed arcade machine - I was too scared to go on it though lol.

The walk through areas were alright. There were a lot of moving car games. First time and only time I got to try Initial D.

When we went back to the Odaiba area where it is in 2011, the whole area was closed off due to damages caused by the earthquakes / tsunami disaster. That happened right in the middle of our holiday so threw out our plans for our remaining time. Even the Studio Ghibli Museum was closed which also made me very sad.

Large part of both trips was spent in Akihabara arcades so I probably went to Club Sega easily.

Hopefully better luck next trip!
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

Club Sega Shibuya closed up. Looks like as of yesterday they have closed permanently.

I had never made it to the Shibuya location, but it is still sad news.
Mikhail24RD
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Mikhail24RD »

Buta wrote:Yes for Joypolis, back in 2007. I loved seeing the Dreams Come True stuff around. Was impressed with the skateboarding themed arcade machine - I was too scared to go on it though lol.

The walk through areas were alright. There were a lot of moving car games. First time and only time I got to try Initial D.

When we went back to the Odaiba area where it is in 2011, the whole area was closed off due to damages caused by the earthquakes / tsunami disaster. That happened right in the middle of our holiday so threw out our plans for our remaining time. Even the Studio Ghibli Museum was closed which also made me very sad.

Large part of both trips was spent in Akihabara arcades so I probably went to Club Sega easily.

Hopefully better luck next trip!
I really like the Initial D game with real cars used as seats (Toyota AE86 and Mazda RX-7 to be exact). I feel that it's a level higher than the Initial D Arcade Stage games I played in the arcades recently.
Rolling Start!!!! :segasports:
Mikhail24RD
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Mikhail24RD »

Midwinter wrote:Club Sega Shibuya closed up. Looks like as of yesterday they have closed permanently.

I had never made it to the Shibuya location, but it is still sad news.
How many Club SEGA places we have now after the Shibuya location closing?
Rolling Start!!!! :segasports:
Midwinter
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midwinter »

Mikhail24RD wrote:I really like the Initial D game with real cars used as seats (Toyota AE86 and Mazda RX-7 to be exact). I feel that it's a level higher than the Initial D Arcade Stage games I played in the arcades recently.
When I went there was a huge line to play Initial D. The real cars were one of the coolest things to see at Joypolis.